Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Strength from throwing?

Imerida
Imerida
United States
2003/01/11, 02:58 PM
Where does strength really come from throwing? Im guess maybe shoulder strength really gives you the extra push in making you throw a baseball or a football farther. Well my throw is really crappy and doenst go very far. Although i have noticed it has gotten a little bit farther when i wuz working out my shoulders in the summertime and hitting the punching bag since hitting the bag does increase shoulder strength...but what i would like to know is, it really shoulder strength that you need to have a farther throw? I would really like to know...cuz i have baseball in April!
grsee
grsee
United States
2003/01/13, 08:54 AM
In a former life, I was a QB and college pitcher. Shoulder exercises will certainly help but most important is proper throwing technique (ask your coach to watch). You don't want a tight joint. It needs to be loose and flexible like a slingshot. Once the technique is correct, the best way to improve throwing is to throw, every chancre you get. That will strengthen the shoulder and simultaneously provide flexibility. Don't stop the shoulder exercises but focus more on low weight, high reps and multi-directional. A certain amount of throwing ability is genetic but everyone can improve as long as the technique is right. Good luck

--------------
GRS
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/15, 03:17 AM
As grsee said technique is the main thing. But I always find that the simplest way of finding which muscles are used is to do the exercise or in this case throw the ball. For example if you spend a hour throwing a ball and find the front head of your deltoid and top of your pec are really sore the next day then these are the weak links in the muscles you use for throwing. I can throw really far and I have and have always had big shoulders, I can’t hit the side of a bus though, so remember not to train at expense of your technique.