Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

soy or whey, I'm soo confused

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/06, 11:16 AM
OK, I am SOOO confused. Soy or whey protein?

There is so much to this fitness thing that I never expected. As you know or can tell, I'm just now getting started into this stuff - starting with an ft weightlifting and nutrition program - and it's all new to me. I keep going in new directions on new things as I try to learn everything I can... example: in my search for a good internet site to order protein supplements (see my previous posts), I came across an article that stated something that was interesting:

"In addition to lowering cholesterol levels, soy isolates can increase endogenous production of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroxin (T4), two substances which can increase your body's metabolism for increased fat burning."

Those first few words caught my attention because one of my main goals is to fix my high cholesterol problem. I was looking at the whey protein, and there's alot of Cholesterol in most (all?) of the products as well as some sat. fat. Is this saying that soy protein (is that the same as "soy isolates" that the quote mentions?) can actually help LOWER cholesterol levels? That's a win-win for me if that's true - it lowers cholesterol AND provides the protein to help build muscle.

Any one with any insights as to the benefits of soy vs. whey?

P.S. I found this statement in this article:

http://www.universalnutrition.com/enter/high_bandwidth/zones/bodybuilding/headlines/Volume1/nutrition/csnwhy.html
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/06, 11:59 AM
OK, the more I look into this, the more I know I need to add soy (protein) to my diet :-) This stuff looks like it is exactly what I need! Protein to help gain muscle, and helps lower cholesterol at the same time! Couldn't ask for for anything better, no?

In case anyone cares to see the data:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/333/5/276?maxtoshow=&HITS=20&hits=20&RESULTFORMAT=&titleabstract=soy+cholesterol&searchid=1023379758085_13827&excludeflag=TWEEK_element&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=PUBDATE_SORTDATE+desc+Score+desc&fdate=1/1/1995&tdate=12/31/1995&journalcode=nejm

(that's the New England Journal of Medicine)

and

http://www.solae.com/NASApp/solae/hlthbody/diseaseprev/cvd/soyproteinandcholesterol.jsp

"Significant reesarch has been done to investigate soy protein's effects on LDL-cholesterol and triglyceride levels in your blood. The 1995 New England Journal of Medicine meta-analysis mentioned earlier combined the results of 38 clinical studies evaluating the effect of consuming soy protein on LDL-cholesterol, triglyceride, and HDL-cholesterol levels.1

This ground-breaking research showed that consuming an average of 47 grams of soy protein daily:

decreased total cholesterol by 9.3%
decreased LDL-cholesterol by 12.9%
decreased triglycerides by 10.5%
increased HDL-cholesterol by 2.4%

The reductions in total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and triglycerides were statistically significant; the increase in HDL-cholesterol was not large enough to be of statistical significance."
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/06, 12:04 PM
Actually, you should vary your protein sources to get the maximum benefits from each type. Whey is the most absorbable protein type and has the highest biological value (BV). Therefore, it is the best choice for consumption post-workout. During the day, you should vary your protein types to include casein, egg, milk and soy. Soy is an especially good choice for those individuals who are lactose intolerant.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!