Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

shy!!

ashby3
ashby3
United States
2001/10/15, 04:29 PM
I am a young female and like to work out in the gym. I just joined free trainers and have my exercise plan. I am okay with the machine part but am a little intimidated by using the free weights around the guys in my college gym. I would love some advice or a good pep talk.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/10/15, 07:58 PM
Just go right ahead and use those free weights!! You are there for you, not them!! :) Maybe you could ask for advice if needed to kind of break the ice. If they see that you are not intimidated they won't bother you. Welcome to FT. You've joined a great family. Maybe you can tell some of the guys about us!! Lift hard!!

coolness...
Colin
Colin
Canada
2001/10/16, 06:20 PM
Get to it! Nothing works wonders for your physique and strength like good old-fashioned bars and plates. Just break in really light and easy in order to get the technique down and then the sky is the limit! Get in there and tear it up!
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/10/17, 01:09 AM
Hey welcome ashby3.. you'll find that there is no reason to be shy here at ft. Most newbies are intimidated when they enter the gym to use the freeweights.. number one reason is that the weights are typically low right? Well I'll tell you coming from a male point of view, it never crosses my mind that the female is using light weights, etc. Instead, I think that it is amazing that she is in the gym in the first place, there to make a difference, and is not afraid of using free weights.

So get at it! Good Luck! Keep us posted!

.o0 Arnold 0o.
ken30307
ken30307
United States
2001/10/18, 07:46 AM
Welcome..I'm new to this too..but have been lifting for a few years...lost about 50lbs and put on some nice lean muscle mass...anyway..just remember that most of those guys lifting those big weights have terrible form and don't know what they are doing either (they just think they do). Look for someone who looks like they have good form and are friendly, and if they are doing an exercise that looks intersting to you..ask them about it. I'm always flattered when someone asks me that! KEEP AT IT!
bjbrubaker
bjbrubaker
United States
2001/10/19, 10:01 AM
I've read the replies the other have written to your request... and they're all right! I couldn't have said it any better, so I won't try. The most important thing is to keep your fitness goal right there in your mind's eye to act as a constant motivator. Then, all it takes is doing whatever it takes to realize your goal! Good luck to you, you'll do fine.