Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

reverse grip bench

razorblaade
razorblaade
United States
2004/07/25, 01:38 PM
Hey guys and gals,I was curious if the reverse grip bench was allowed in powerlifting competitions.It feels good to me and I'm closing on a 360 single.My rotator cuff is done with regular benching but I love to bench.Also what assistance training would facilitate the r.g. bench?Thanks.

--------------
There is nothing better in life than to crush one\'s enemies,drive them before you,and hear the lamentation of their women!
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/07/26, 12:18 AM
Don't know about powerlifting regs, but what i do know is which muscles would be most cruical to RGBP. These would be the; clavicular head of the pectoralis major & pectoralis minor, anterior head of the deltoid, biceps brachii, coracobrachialis, all heads of the triceps brachii, anconeus & the serratus anterior.

The triceps brachii & anconeus contribute to the elbow extension aspect of the movement. The pec minor and serratus anterior would contribute to protraction of the shoulder (moving the shoulder girdle forward as the shoulder blades become further apart). All of the other muscles will contribute to shoulder flexion.

Any isolation exercises that involve one of these 3 movements (shouler flexion, shoulder protraction & elbow extension) would be useful auxillary exercises. One excellent shoulder flexion isolation movement is front shoulder raises with a dumbell with palms up.

Useful compound movements (additional to flat bench RGBPs) would include incline RGBPs & overhead pullovers with a dumbell. You might also find that regular grip incline bench less irritating to your roator cuff than flat benching.
razorblaade
razorblaade
United States
2004/07/26, 12:31 AM
Thanks for your reply.I've found that variety of exercise,ranges of motion,etc...tend to help too.My incline work is done primarily on Hammer equipment with the emphasis on a closer grip and I'm able to train fairly heavy.You are right on about shoulder traing for the bench and I came across some info at criticalbench.com about pushing the bar(during flat bench)in a straight line or slightly towards the feet instead of back over the head,especially if you wish to preserve rotator cuff integrity.The RGBP makes this easier for me.What are your thoughts?

--------------
There is nothing better in life than to crush your enemies,drive them before you,and hear the lamentation of their women!
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/07/26, 12:48 AM
Well, first thing I have to mention is that I don't bench anywhere close to what you do, so my thoughts are based on a mix of experience on a lower scale and a solid theoretical base. With that disclaimer out of the way (LOL), I would be in agreement with the info you sited & how it relates to the RGBP. With flat bench, th greater the amount of shoulder abduction (wherein your elbows get further & further from your sides), the greater the stress will be on the rotator cuff group.
razorblaade
razorblaade
United States
2004/07/26, 01:22 AM
Nah, your just being modest!(lol)

--------------
There is nothing better in life than to crush your enemies,drive them before you,and hear the lamentation of their women!
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/07/26, 09:41 AM
The worlds strongest man anthony clark uses the reverse grip. I believe that they have allowed him to compete using this grip. I am shure it depends which federation you are lifting in.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/07/26, 04:25 PM
I wa salways told to when i bench to bench up and toward your head, at a slit arc to use more muscles. If you push just striaght up your using chest and tris, but if you make it arc a slight bit, it make the shoulders come in and help out a lil bit...was my coach wrong?

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/07/26, 07:55 PM
Your right big andrew, Body builders use this "J" patern because it works the chest more. The powerlifters press strait up. For us the bench is more of a tricep front delt movement.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am ANIMAL! and that is enough.