Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Really Obese

wraith109
wraith109
United States
2014/07/18, 06:52 PM
I am 25, 400+lbs. I am desperate to lose the weight. I am eating healthier using myfitnesspal. and I have been trying Leslie Sansone's "walk away the pounds", but I am seeing virtually no improvement. I have gone to the Doctor, and especially for my weight, I am healthy. I am at a loss and I just don't know what to do. I now have access to a gym, but most of the machines are not built for someone of my size, and with weight comes back problems, so I cant spend all day walking. I really need guidance, and a paid trainer reallly isn't an option for me. I have no idea what I will be able to do at the gym, not to mention what I should be doing. I know nothing about reps or sets or any of it. I am at such a loss. Please someone help me.
KaylaRWilder
KaylaRWilder
United States
2014/07/19, 12:35 PM
As someone who is starting all over with my experiences at the gym, it is daunting. Especially when you dont know what you are doing or even know where to start. I would suggest using machines that don't involve 'scrunching' yourself in to. Free weights can be a great way to work your upper body. For your legs, my favorite machine has always been the leg press. However, if laying down low to the ground and getting back up is an issue, I would suggest doing squats instead. It you are by yourself, make sure not to over do it so you dont get hurt. Start with what is comfortable for you. 
Sets and reps are easy to get to know. Lets say I'm doing squats and I'm using just the bar with no extra weight (roughly 40lbs by itself). The first time I use it im going to squat, then stand up right 5 times in a row. After the five times, I've completed my first set with a rep of 5. Most of the time, I try to go for 3 complete sets of 5-10 depending on what im lifting and what work out im doing.
Hopefully this information is helpful, and best of luck to you!