Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Questions about armed forces

goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/04/04, 04:46 PM
I'm heavily conisdering the ROTC program at Texas Tech next year, but also, i have a couple of doubts. After two years of military science, you have to make a commitment. HOWEVER, i have been told from my buddies that you cannot do such if you have A) been on antidepressants or B) Have visible tattoos in a class a uniform (i have tattoos on both of my hands, and one on my forearm).

Since i know many people on this board have had military experience, i was wondering if they were right on these points as well as what are good branches (military service) to think about if i decide to take the ROTC route. Any and all views on this are welcome and encouraged...thank you

ALSO, sorry about only posting this in the mens forum (i know we have some women military personnel in our presence, i just didn't want to post it in relationship, and i didn't want to post it in general health cause it would get burried too fast)
parko03
parko03
United States
2004/04/04, 05:05 PM
I know in the Navy visible tatoos are NOT a problem so long as they are not anti-government(duh) but I don't think you could be an officer with visible ones.
I have three tatoos and you can see the one on my leg when I wear my skirts, but I am enlisted, not officer.

I am not sure about the antidepressents though I would think that as long as it wasn't for like ever and you no longer need them it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps.

--------------
It is no fun to be normal!!!
knuhkles
knuhkles
United States
2004/04/08, 01:55 PM
same policy goes for the air force....their is an acutal regulation on it that can be accessed from the internet. Try google.com and search for it, The reg states that a certain percentage of your hand or whever it is is can be covered. Go and look it up. I have lots of friends that Air Force officers with Tatoos, and with the branch of Service...My opinion is Air Force all the way....but it depends on what your goals are.....if you dont mind getting dirty go Marine or Army now if you like water and dont mind being away from home for 6 month periods of coarse the Navy and Coast Guard. Now if you want to wake up and have a cup of coffee with the president...lol...then the Air Force is the way to go.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/04/08, 02:05 PM
If you want to have maid service and have your superiors call you by your first name go Air Force.

If you want to drive the Marines around and wait for them on the boat while they go eat the enemy go Navy.

If you want to get a ribbon for every single thing that you do including brushing your teeth in the morning go Army.

If you want to destroy everything in your path go Marines. Dont worry about tattoos.

--------------
My gym dues are not paid with money.
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/08, 02:06 PM
Lol, I'd rather crawl in the dirt, or stay away from for 6 months than to be a desk jockie:laugh:. Army, hooah.
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/08, 02:11 PM
Lol, hec the seals are usually there before the marines even think of getting up in the morning. And not everything is about ribbons in the Army. All branches of the service have there abilitys, and we have to lean on each other to get the job done. As far as I am concerned, I either want to be Army SOF or Navy Seal, something with a real challenge to it.:cool:

--------------
A determined mind is the best weapon in any situation, a strong body is the road to victory. G.R.C.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/04/08, 02:13 PM
Are you in the service?

--------------
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/08, 02:23 PM
Right now PA guard in the delayed entry, but my father was 12 years active Navy and has been a Navy reservist and now army gaurd since his discharge in the 90's.

--------------
A determined mind is the best weapon in any situation, a strong body is the road to victory. G.R.C.
2004/04/08, 02:35 PM
Hec, we had valet parking for our destroyer.

You forgot to mention that you have to be at least 6 feet tall to join the Coast Guard. That's so you can walk to shore if the ship goes down.

I guess that "eating the enemy" is why thos devil dogs were always puking when we hit a lil bump in the ocean.

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie
clt
clt
United States
2004/04/08, 02:37 PM
well i am in the navy, but i hang with the marines, i am a corpsman, tex, go navy! get in and become a corpsman, or go with the marines. i will never say anything bad about the marines. i loved it when i serve with them. i will nver trust a sole as much as i trust a marine. officers are overpaid and over rated, they get all the credit for what we enlisted do! i am getting out soon, but if i were to stay i would be enlisted for life!
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/04/08, 02:56 PM
Thank you Charlie for "getting it" concerning my post. Valrash I was poking fun. I love all my service brother and sisters.

--------------
2004/04/08, 03:09 PM
clt, its your job to talk bad about marines. They will like you better if you gouge them in the eyes and kick 'em in the nuts. Masochistic types you know. Now the officer part, you got that right.

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/08, 03:09 PM
Lol, I know you were:big_smile:.

--------------
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/08, 03:12 PM
Hec that is.

--------------
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/04/08, 05:12 PM
word, ive always wanted to do be navy or marine. thats afterall what we've had atleast two people in from each generation :)
parko03
parko03
United States
2004/04/08, 05:14 PM
Hey, be nice to us "desk jockies" We make sure you get paid.:big_smile::laugh:

Go Navy

--------------
It is no fun to be normal!!!