Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Preparing for Coast Guard Boot Camp

2012/06/10, 06:12 AM
Hey, my name is Spencer! I'm getting ready to join the United States Coast Guard but am definitely not physically ready for boot camp. When I was a teenager I was very physically active but now I'm 25 and have fallen a good distance from the shape I was in at 18. I'm still in decent shape, I rock climb, kayak, backpack, hike, etc... but have a good bit of improvement to do before boot camp. I'm hoping this site with it's social component will get me into the shape I need to be in.

I'm definitely the type that talks a lot about working out more but only follows through sometimes. Also, I don't really know much about how to properly train myself. Getting motivated, and staying there, has been a big hurdle. But, my recent decision to join the Coast Guard has definitely given me the motivation because I want to be the absolute best that I can be... and I don't want to draw unwanted attention at boot camp! 

Goals: 
Improve cardio 
Improve stamina 
Add some muscle mass 
Perfect my form 
Be able to exceed the minimum fitness requirements for the Coast Guard
  • Bent-Knee Sit Ups: 38 in one minute 

• Push-Ups: 29 in one minute 

• Running: 1.5 miles in 12:51 (minutes) 

• Swimming: Jump off a six-foot platform and swim 100 meters; Tread water for 5 minutes 

I would love to make some friends on here to help keep me on track.  Also, anyone who can provide pointers, especially if you've been through any of the armed service's boot camps, I would be very grateful towards.