Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Pre-Workout Activities

02Ranger
02Ranger
United States
2004/04/24, 11:30 PM
I know this sounds COMPLETELY crazy, and it might sound immature, but I promise, I'm not tryin to be.

I was at school the other day, and a friend of mine who lifts weights regularly told me something that just completely boggled my mind...He said that if you masturbate before you lift then it will increase the amount of weight you can lift for a little while. Under any normal circumstances I wouldn't believe it, but the guy that told me has been a good friend for about 3 years now, and he says this based on his personal experiences.

Like I said, I know it was very immature, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard this, or if there is any truth to this at all? Thanks yall

--------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
--Confucius
2004/04/24, 11:38 PM
Yeah, its true but you have to yell "incoming" at the exact right moment.

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/04/25, 03:53 AM
lmao, sorry for intruding!
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/25, 07:08 AM
Ranger,

I don't think your question is crazy or immature, in fact, I think it's a really good question.

I've looked in all my biology and psychology text books trying to find an answer to your question, and oddly enough, it was only addressed in one of the psych. books.

Paraphrasing:

In men, normal fluctuations in testosterone levels, from man to man and hour to hour, have little effect on the sex drive (Byrn, 1982). Indeed, fluctuations in male hormones are partly a response to sexual stimulation.

So, according to this text, sexual arousal can be a cause as well as a consequence of increased testosterone levels.

And now the larger question, do temporary increases in male testosterone levels correlate to a temporary increase in muscle strength? I wasn't able to find any information on that, one way or the other. However, there are a series of chemical reactions caused by ejaculation which may be where the answer to your question lies. Among others, oxytocin, melatonin, norepinepherine, etc.

In essence, while your friend may not have it exactly, there is some science to back up what he is telling you. This probably explains the very dangerous use of steriods.

--------------
Anni

Have you hugged your EFAs today?
02Ranger
02Ranger
United States
2004/04/25, 09:22 AM
Charlie: LOL, you're the man, you've always got somethin funny to say to give a great laugh

Anni: Thank you a lot for your research, I greatly appreciate it. I was pretty skeptical of my friend's claims, but I didn't think about the fact that it would increase testosterone, which in turn would help you lift more probably.

--------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
--Confucius