Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Pre Post Workout Supplements

rkahl
rkahl
United States
2008/02/19, 04:49 PM
I am working out at 8:30am right now which gives me time for a whole food breakfast an hour before working out. I have been looking at BSN Cellmass and other products for post workout but haven't bought any yet. I like Probolic-Sr protein but I don't think it is the correct stuff for post workout recovery in that it is slow acting and long lasting. I would like a product that would include the creatine I need as well as the BCAA's and the post workout carbs & protein needed. Buying seperate products gets pretty expensive. Several years ago, I got some good results out of a product called Anabolic Activator. It was a multi-purpose product. I'm certain there must be better products now however. The idea of a multi-purpose protein appeals to me. My goal is to trim down about 12 lbs of fat while adding 4 or 5 lbs of muscle. My diet is clean and I have that covered. I am 55 years young and am training hard. I have been out of the loop for a while and would like some knowledgeable advise on which products to put my money in. I take multi-vitamins, 50mg DHEA x2, Camphibolic, Chromium Picolinate, 3000 units Vitamin C, 12-15 grams of essential oils, 2 or 3 protein shakes daily. I looked at a product by Bio Quest call Myozene. It is high in calories and carbs and in price. I'm not sure it will help with my weight loss goal. Please advise.
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/20, 04:44 PM
In order to burn your calories and build some muscle you should research these 2 topics on-line - calorie counting and the zig-zag method of caloric intake.
HIIT or high intensity interval training is your best choice for burning more calories in a shorter time while maintaining your lean muscle, reasons being...

- Efficiency. You get a better workout in a shorter period of time than you do with those 30-minute to hour-long treadmill walks.

- Intensity. Because the intensity level is raised - even for a short time - you encourage your body to keep its muscle mass.

- Higher metabolism. It has been shown that interval training allows your body to continue to burn fat for up to 24 hours after your workout. This is apparently due to the higher intensity and/or the "shock to your system" of the repeated "hard-easy-hard-easy" cycle.

- Portability. Interval training can be done with several different types of equipment, even no equipment at all, and just about anywhere. Even a simple program of sprinting and walking will work.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
warmup, cooldown & stretch so seldom seen
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/20, 04:46 PM
You should be eating your 5-6 daily meals spaced about 2.5 - 3 hrs apart. Try to get your workout timed, roughly, so that a meal falls within a 30 minute window of the end of your workout. Here is why (something I posted in another forum):

The average person?s body can only utilize roughly 30 grams of protein per meal, due to our livers. THE only time you can utilize more is post-workout. I'm sure you've heard of the 30ish minute window to get your protein in you, well this is when you can utilize about 1 gram / 1 Kg of lean mass, and don't forget the carbs to replenish (also a great time to have a capsule based multi-vitamin). The next best time to have your protein is before bed. If you don?t want to spend the cash on a pm formula just add some fibre (i.e. - metamucil, etc.) and some flax oil, or other good oil. Adding these will slow the digestion of the protein while you sleep.

Also, keep this in mind when eating your protein. Our muscle is made up of 22 amino acids and there is NO food other than eggs that contain all 22. The best way to get all 22 from natural sources is to mix your source per meal, chicken and beef, chicken and kidney beans, etc. If you're inclined to look into this you can get a list of the 22 amino acids to cross-reference with your food sources and see what you can come up with for your personal taste.

As for mass, you should you should really count your macro's (calories and ratios in terms of sources). You need to determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and then go above that by 500 or so calories to start and see how your body reacts. If you are going above your TDEE then you need to exercise accordingly otherwise it'll all get stored as fat. You can lower the calories above your TDEE if you start noticing less definition. But stay above if you want mass.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------
Krupica
Krupica
Canada
2008/02/20, 04:49 PM
In the last paragraph of the last post I mentioned TDEE. This is what you need to figure out for using the 'zig zag' method of burning your fat off. Basically you determine your TDEE then you go under by 15-20% for 3 days, then go back up to TDEE or above by 5% for a day or 2. This prevents your body from going into starvation mode. That's good news.

--------------
train smart, then hard
----------------------
form over weight
----------------------