Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Orthorexia Nervosa?!

s_debeauvoir09
s_debeauvoir09
United States
2006/02/24, 04:43 AM
I have a question. One of my friends sent me an article on this eating disorder which seemed like an accusation to me. I got mad about it. Several friends have commented on my being "anorexic" to lose weight, which is not true. I watch what I eat, I don't eat meat, and I try really hard to eat mostly organic fruits and vegetables if I can help it, but my life sometimes doesn't allow that so I will have carrots with organic PB for a mini-meal (I have several during the day and I don't really have a limit. I just eat when I'm hungry). I've gotten paranoid about it because I think people are watching my eating habits, something I'm uncomfortable with. Another is that I am slightly worried that it is true. IF it is, I know I'm not anorexic so I really don't think it can be that harmful, or maybe I'm trying to rationalize here. I do have body dysmorphic disorder which is commonly confused for an eating disorder, but it isn't. I just want to know if any of you have heard of this and how valid it is. It seems a bit silly that there's a name for trying to eat healthy, pure foods, but there's no name for eating highly processed, deep fried, greasy, sugar-laden foods.
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/03/02, 07:08 AM
Hi
You know what? I dont know how old you are,but when I was a teenager,I ate what others thought was "weird" I ate alot of salads,fruits,vegs etc,,not because I wanted to be thinner,but because I enjoyed eating them..

I hardly ate junk food,cookies,etc like my friends did and Iam still like that today...there is nothing wrong with wanting to eat healthy..

Now if you dont eat meat,you have to try and get your protein frm somewhere..yogurt,cottage cheese etc but you need the protein to build strong tissue and muscle.

Then next time your friends comment on what you are eating,just tell them,you only have one body and you dont want to fill it with crap