Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27036

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

New to fitness and workouts. Any helpful tips?

maddymonkey
maddymonkey
United States
2016/01/04, 07:33 PM
Hi! I am a 2nd year nursing student under a lot of stress, and I figured exercise would be a great stress releiver! However, I am new to this whole fitness routine. I am going to be doing the at home routine for at least 2-3 months before I even think about getting a gym membership. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep motivated, or some actually tasty, healthy recipes, or just general knowledge that you wish you would have known before starting. My goal is NOT to lose fat, because I don't need to do that, but if I need to lose a little so I can regain that weight in muscle, I will.
So here is some background on me:
-I am 18 years old, 5' 1", and have been weighing in at 109.6 for the past 2 weeks. 
-I live with my mom and dad, and we all eat mostly vegetarian, with some type of meat every 2 weeks or so. (usually chicken or beef)
-My endurance and stamina is pretty low
-I cannot do crunches, because my back cannot bend much due to scoliosis correction surgery. Sit ups are currently a no-go for me too, until my core strength is higher.
-My core strength is very weak
-My legs and glutes are fairly strong due to me biking every other day to my job during the summer
Here is a pic of me: http://imgur.com/a/3RMZe
Some equipment my household has:
-bowflex
-recumbent bike
-adjustable dumbbells
-5lb kettlebell
-Various strength resistance bands (like the type you use in yoga)
-Pull up assist bar
Here are a list of things I'd like to better myself with, and my plan
- Increase endurance/stamina
-Maintain strength of lower body (During the winter)
-Have more toned core and stomach muscles (Specifically my lower abdomen muscles)
-Stronger arm muscles
So my plan is pretty broad, but here it goes: I want to increase my endurance the most. I figured cardio would work toward that. I'm not sure what cardio workouts I can do in the winter time, though, as I can't ride my bike! I figured I could just follow the "At Home Work Out Plan" to slowly gain strength.
If you took the time to read this, thank you very much! Sorry it's long, but I figured the more info I provide, the better. What type of cardio workouts could I do during the winter? Do you have any ideas to alternative ab muscle exercises that don't involve russian twists, or crunches? I can do Toe touch crunches, but not the normal crunches. (Normal ones put too much strain on my upper back) My goal is to work out safely, and not to injur myself, or push myself so hard I cry.  Again, thank you very much for taking the time to read this!
Mystict
Mystict
Albania
2016/01/06, 06:49 PM
Hej maddymonkey, I see that you have a lot of stress, but its normal. Take it easy . Stress just lower you energy. So avoid it by doing something that makes you happy.
I will try to help you as much as I can here.

Here is a daily work out.
Day 1.
Running 20 min
Bike 10 min
Abs - 15 crunch - 30 bicycle crunch (it help for sides)- put you hand under your lower back and raise the leg up and down without touching the ground. ( repeat this 3 times )
Pull up ( which is comfortable for you)
4x18-16-12-10
Dumbbells fly ( not heavy weight)
4x20-18-16-14
Dumbbells push ( like bench pres )
4x20-18-16-14

Day 2
Same like the day 1 but it change to back exercise

Pull Up
4x18-16-14-12
Reverse pull up
4x18-16-14-12
Dumbbells deadlift
4x20-18-16-14

Day3
Same as day 1 but change to triceps and biceps

Triceps
Dumbbell over head
4x20-18-16-14
Dumbbell hummer over head( lying down on bench)
4x20-18-16-14
One arm bent over dumbbell ( lying face down on a benc and push it back the arm to hit the triceps)

Biceps
Dumbbell 21s( 3 times)
Dumbbells curls
4x20-18-16-14
Dumbbell hammer
4x20-18-16-14

Day 4
Same as day 1 but change to shoulders.
Shoulders
Arnold dumbbell press
4x20-18-16-14
Front raise dumbbell
4x20-18-16-14
Side raise
4x20-18-16-14
Rare raise
4x20-18-16-14

Day5
Same as day 1 but it focus more on legs
Squat
Calves
One legs raise

Well I hope this help you on your goals.