Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Need to lose weight not muscle

Olly99
Olly99
United Kingdom
2014/03/17, 10:35 AM
Hi Everyone, I really want to lose some weight ,But after a year of liting weights am finally starting to get some decent muscle, How can i lose weight without losing the muscle i've got?, Can i keep gaining muscle and lose weight at the same time and if so,HOW!!!!, All suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!, Olly99.
a_milsap01
a_milsap01
United States
2014/03/17, 11:18 AM (Edited: a_milsap01 - 2014/03/17, 11:18 AM)
The only way that I know how is to watch what you eat (of course), continue to lift weights, but add on walking or running.
lysithea_kj
lysithea_kj
United States
2014/03/18, 03:58 PM
If you are focused on losing pounds rather than size or fat that may be where you are getting hung up, muscle weighs more than fat so you may not see much change on a scale, but look at your body and what size clothes you are wearing now compared to before, this is a better way to judge your gains and losses.

If you feel like you aren't losing the fat like you wnat take a look at your diet and see if you can improve or change it, we all react to different foods differently.  Try to find out what you should be consuming in quantity and ingredients.  Are you supplementing with protein or other workout supplements?  Check the nutritional information on those, most are made for professional athletes not your average person in a gym and often contain much more fat, carbs, sugar, protein, etc than what you need.

Look at your workout plan, is it heavy in one area, but light in another?  Are you lifting a bunch of weights, but not doing any cardio work or maybe the other way around.  If you are not seeing the results you want consider changing your routine for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference.  Also make sure you are following the 10% rule of increasing your workout by 10% each week (up the amount of reps or weight each week, for example if you normally do 3 sets of 12 reps on a 100 pound weight up it to 3 sets of 13 or 14 reps on a 100 pound weight OR 3 sets of 12 reps on a 110 pound weight), this should help prevent plateaus in your weight loss or muscle gains.
Olly99
Olly99
United Kingdom
2014/03/19, 05:53 AM
Hi there, Thanks for the reply!, I should of gave a bit of background info on my post, I stopped smoking 4 1/2 years ago and put on 2 stone, Just over a year ago i started lifting weights and have really gotten into it, I workout out 3 times a week for 45-minutes each time, I do 3-4 sets of standing barbell curls (21kg) , 3-4 sets of of tricep-dips, 3-4 sets of bench presses (35kg) and i superset with 3-4 sets of bicep curls (20kg), I also do 3-4 sets of 12 press ups. I have 2-3 whey protein shakes per day, Take alpha lipoic acid and bcaa's each day, I also cycle two months on & one off with decabolic creatine. I consume 3000 calories per day and 190 grams of protein which i need for muscle growth and to keep my body in an annabolic state, I am a support assistant and a non-driver so do a lot of walking about. I eat a lot of chicken & turkey for protein ,peanut butter, wholmeal bread and wholewheat pasta, egg's, i also eat a lot of fruit. I am currently saving for a new weightbench with a higher weight capacity so that i can move up a notch on the amount of weight i can lift. I have noticed that about 2 thirds of my tops don't fit now as my shoulders have grown as well as my arms, I am definately the most muscular i have ever been in my life but still have a long way to go. I think deep down i already knew what i needed to do and you've just confirmed it for me, I need to incorporate some cardio exercises into my routine, Thank you VERY much for getting back to me and i hope it's alright with you to add you to my friends list, If there's anything i can do for you please feel free to ask, all the best, Olly99.