Group: Lose Weight or Lose Fat

Created: 2012/01/23, Members: 254, Messages: 127

Think about which one is truly your goal.

Join group

need help with ideas plz

aggressiveninja
aggressiveninja
United States
2012/04/15, 08:10 AM
Ok so here is the deal. I want to drop body fat while gaining lean muscle. The kicker is that I drive trucks for a living which means sitting all day with no access to a gym while on the road. I try to eat right but with no fridge on truck it is really hard. I have some lifeline bands which is great except the fact of limited space so I can't quite do the workout like I should. I am currently 5'11" 190 lbs about 21% body fat 32 years old. Any help would be great. I think I have given enough info but if not plz let me know. Thanks in advance
2012/04/15, 10:47 AM
My wife and I never travel without an ice chest. That's one option. It takes work to plan and prepare meals but eating healthy on the road is nearly impossible. Do you ever stay in hotels? Most that we stay in have small gyms. Swim whenever possible. I don't know if  the chain gyms allow you to use any gym you walk into but maybe that's an option. Definitely use your bands, research isometrics and walk/run when you can. The longer you work on the lifestyle, the easier it will become to live it. Good luck
aggressiveninja
aggressiveninja
United States
2012/04/15, 01:49 PM
I wish they would allow us to hotel rooms. But the ice chest idea may work. My favorite foods are chicken and fish but they are better fresh. Usually it is Denny's or whatever is at the truck stop. But eating out is a topic all it's own. Thanks for the advice.
2012/04/15, 01:54 PM
I feel your pain brother. You work a tough job for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. How many nights/days a week do you spend sleeping in the truck? How many are you home?
aggressiveninja
aggressiveninja
United States
2012/04/15, 02:03 PM
I am home about 3 days out of a month. It could be worse, I could still be in the military. Atleast I get to see the family. I sleep in the truck every night. I feel truck stops should have weight rooms I would pay for a membership.
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/04/16, 08:54 AM
It would be so nice to say you should eat after your drive, then see if you can work in some sort of regiment outside the truck.. ie pushups, situps etc, but I can't imagine that's the sort of thing you'd want to do on the road in a truck stop parking lot, is it? I would guess that going for a run probably isn't a particularly enticing option either for lack of a shower facility or even a place to go. 

If you go with the ice chest, load it up with fruit/veggies.  If they're cold, they'll be refreshing, will help fill the gap, and will add ballast to help combat against the Dennys menu.  :/

If you discover any solutions that work for you or something you want to try, post again.. This is the sort of topic that is probably useful for at least half of the world who has their own reasons why getting to the gym is particularly hard.
jeremygardiner
jeremygardiner
New Zealand
2012/04/20, 02:03 AM
Wow cool someone else asked too. Exact same problem as I have. Thanks for the info guys :).

Anything else please post to let us know
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/04/20, 05:03 AM
Lets not get spammy about this site please
2012/04/20, 10:21 AM
Fryblade, hope you are well. You can edit out the link if you want to. These posts are popping up around the sight.
aggressiveninja
aggressiveninja
United States
2012/04/20, 05:20 PM
Well I have found that there are fruit and veggie cups but they are more expensive than you would think and still need protein.
2012/04/20, 06:42 PM
Cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, turkey, lentils.

We make a lentil soup that would be ice chest friendly and it's packed with protein. It's good cold but you can nuke it. You can cut up pretty much anything to add to soups except gish. Yuck. Be creative with soups and stews. They are yummy and you can toss in the kitchen sink. Do you have easy access to a microwave?
2012/04/20, 07:10 PM
ninja, buy a nutrition book that lists the properties of food. You can get them that list grams of protein, carbs, fat, calories and a host of other food properties. Many of them even list restaurant food. Subs can be wonderful choices for high protein, low fat. Buy a paperback. They cost next to nothing.
aggressiveninja
aggressiveninja
United States
2012/04/20, 07:13 PM
I actually ordered a few books but I haven't been home to pick them up yet. Soup is great and I have been thinking about buying a microwave for the truck.
2012/05/04, 12:10 AM
Tuna dishes, egg dishes, chicken dishes, lean pork dishes, cottage cheese all have good protein count. You can buy very tasty whey protein powders that mix with water in a pinch but taste much better with milk. I add eggwhites from a carton to mine. Are you carrying your ice chest now?
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/05/05, 10:52 PM
Agreed with your note about milk vs water.  Milk can make some pretty nasty powder so much more drinkable!