Group: Lose Weight or Lose Fat

Created: 2012/01/23, Members: 254, Messages: 127

Think about which one is truly your goal.

Join group

Knowing When to Stop

Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/05/04, 12:01 PM (Edited: Fyrblade - 2012/05/04, 12:06 PM)
I fully appreciate the value of rest in a good workout plan. Having time for your muscles, joints and whatever else to rejuvenate feels great. It feels particularly good when you do return to the gym and feel sore the next day (or two? Three?).

A few weeks ago I went to Florida to take part in a training camp for Dragonboating. A week on the water surrounded by like-minded people, healthy eating, gym time and sun is a fantastic vacation away from the usual grind.

Unfortunately I found myself needing my galbladder out while down there, and this ended my plan before it could start.

Once out, the doctor advised no lifting for 4 weeks, then begin lightly, then increase weight at 6 weeks.

I dutifully waited nearly 3 weeks before returning to the gym where I carefully tried some light weights, while paying close attention to my core. Lots of reps, light on the weight. It felt good to go back even if the only gains might be in flexibility and stamina.

A few nights later, I met up with a good friend and we worked together. Still very light with a couple of tests of limits. Mental notes made, a few pictures taken and all good!

Another workout after was solo. Heavier weight, but still not close to max. I added a couple of other stations, and at the end of the day, noted more progress.

Finally a few nights ago, I met up with my same friend and got back to it. One station though, I felt a serious pull in my core and I knew damn well to stop. 0 reps completed, just a big reality check.

A couple of minutes later, I felt fine and continued on but left that station alone. The rest of my workout went fine. More gains, lots of reps and extra sets. My partner set some big PBs (proud of you!) and I was soon back at home.

An hour later I woke up on the floor (I relax on the floor.. Who needs furniture) in serious pain around 230am. The kind of pain that makes you dress and go to the hospital and hope you don't pass out. Yes, driving was probably stupid, but lets not dwell on that.

When I arrived, I thought it was my heart. Pain was dead center of my chest, short of breath, the stuff you hear about.

Tests soon after showed my heart and blood were fine and the pain was likely caused by possible indigestion of a handful of nuts I ate while lying on the floor and the strain I felt at the gym. Great! Let me outta here!

Home I go but I can't sleep. It hurts again, and much worse if I try to lie on my side. I'm a stomach sleeper but I couldn't hope to roll over that far. Tylenol made it better but a day later, its unbearable. Breathing is painful, my faithful gym partner I could hardly hold a conversation with on the phone, and before long it hurts enough that I go to the bathroom to be sick.

I'm no expert but I know when it's time.

Back to the hospital I go after gulping more pain meds. I know the deal by now. They won't give you anything until they know its appropriate.

They finally call my name and pain is going down by now (thank you Tylenol). I lie on the cot and I'm poked and prodded by a nurse, an intern (I assume?) then finally the doctor.

I don't know what it was but after pressing here, there and everywhere across my abs a hundred times, I feel MUCH better.

I could have clicked my heels while singing Zippadee Do-Da on the way out.

His advice was to stay away from the gym but sheepishly admitted he had done the same thing as do many, many guys.

So, my word to the wise is when you see those incisions have healed up, it's not over. Cutting through muscle, you need a long time to heal that up. Skin heals much faster than muscle.

I just hope I haven't set myself back too much.
2012/05/04, 04:23 PM
I bet you're back at the gym day after tomorrow. You just can't stick with a lifestyle like this unless you have several screws loose. Glad you are better. Crossing fingers.

STAY HOME

Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/05/04, 05:14 PM
Welllll my plan is to put the gym on the back burner and get on a calorie burn via cycling.

I thinnnnk I've learned my lesson :)
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/05/07, 11:35 AM
Well.. So much for that.. I went to the gym yesterday. 

How are you at predicting lotto numbers??
2012/05/07, 02:00 PM
2012/05/07, 02:12 PM
CharlieMV

---
2012/05/07, 02:15 PM
I have no idea why that posted twice. I was trying for a look of wisdom.
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/05/07, 02:17 PM
lol

Not sure if you ever saw the movie "IT" by Stephen King, but I tell ya, that picture gives me the creeps!
2012/05/07, 02:46 PM
IWe aren't Stephen King fans but oddly enough, my wife and I have watched The Stand at least once a year for almost 20 years. I think it came out in 1994. The dog was photoshopped by a gardening friend. he has hundreds of pictures of this great dog. Seems to stare right through me know I'm an idiot.
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/05/07, 03:04 PM
The Stand is in my Top 10 favorite movies/books. IT is there with it. Thats about where it ends with me and SK though :)