Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Is it Possible to have the same strength

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/05/14, 10:55 PM
howdy, I was just thinking that I have been doing low rep high weight exercises for all of my core lifts for months and have had the fitness goal of gaining as much lean muscle mass as possible and it's obvious to see I have, but i still have poor definition and some fat on me, i was wondering if i switched my workout to one that burns fat more and is goaled toward having defintion

Do you think I would lose a bunch of my current strength?? Right now I'm 6'3 and weigh 220lbs. and I'm 17.

Thanks
timmstar
timmstar
Australia
2004/05/16, 05:33 AM
so what would be a good routine and diet you think if you are to lose fat and keep as much muscle as possible say going from about 12, 13 percent to 7 or 8 percent and how long would that take if you wanted to keep it up and have it b perminent? i kno sum my fingz i ask on diz forum r wierd but i gotta crazy imagination kinda :) i uno:P lol
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/16, 10:46 AM
Just reamember its more about diet to keep body fat down..............if yoru trying to gain......then your needing extra calories, if your trying to lose, then you need less...make sense?

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/05/16, 07:06 PM
I maintain A high protein diet consuming atleast 220 grams per day , and I usually eat lots of vegetables , a few fruits, milk everday , I try and eat a balanced diet, I'm just concerned with
DO you lose strength as in how much you lift and power if you lose that body mass???
I know what I would have to do to gain definition.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/17, 08:12 PM
Just so you know, I can tell your a football player....but from what I can under stand you can't be a athlet and a body builder........body builing is abotu skulpting your body, as well as getting as big as possible........to be a athlete in any sport it about quickness..........and power..........I've never played football except for with friends recreationally.....but I do know the faster guys make the plays........big monsters can run the ball, but not very fast, you can't hit what you can't catch. ITs fine to wanna be a strong athlete...but if you start trying to cut up and get bigger and all that, you might mess you your game......If its not broke don't fix it man!

--------------

2004/05/18, 11:07 AM
As far as the strength issue, you can cut some body fat and maintain your strength. You won't be able to maintain your same rate of progress, however, which can be frustrating when you're stuck at a certain weight after a long period of significant strangth gains. Explosiveness training has always helped me maintain strength while cutting and even make some gains. Like Andrew said, though, you might want to assess your goals before getting too far into the bodybuilding stuff. Are you willing to sacrifice 10-20 lbs the summer before football season? Are you willing to sacrifice some strength for quickness? My advice is to stay focused on strength, power, and quickness, and only to worry about the fat if it hinders your ability.
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/05/18, 09:53 PM
I would like to be both fast and strong=power. I just think that some of that fat on my body in paticularily my gut slows me down a bit when I run. I hadn't eaten cake, cookies, or that much fatty stuff or sweets for about 5 months until 2 weeks ago and i know i have gained fat because i was at about 215-217 and now I'm 220, but i have also seen strength gains in the past few weeks so i dont know how much of that is fat or lean muscle. But I really doubt that i will choose a body building workout over power now.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/19, 04:45 PM
have yoru body fat checked, just cause you agin lil weight don't mean anything, watch your waist size and other measurements to help keep track.

--------------

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/05/19, 11:06 PM
well I have been doing alot of squats and a few deadlifts over the months and i thought that, those exercises expand the size of your waist i have gone from a 36 inch waist to a 39.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/21, 07:26 PM
I have herd that too, make sure your exhalling when you start going up, the air pushes and stretches the abdominal muscles......so I hear.

--------------

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/05/24, 11:48 PM
Is that a good thing though? for it to expand your waist and abs like that? do they ever shrink?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/05/25, 07:21 PM
Well alot of power lifters and body builders have big abbs, just when you see pics of body builders they are "sucking in" and contracting the abss so they look good. Lighten up a lil bit, so you not straing so much, and suck in instead of inhaling in for the help.

--------------