Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

I think

candylicious
candylicious
Canada
2005/03/31, 02:24 AM
I think im begining to have a problem but im not sure I'm 5'4 and i weigh 112 pounds. I'm a commerical model and my agency has been hinting at me losing a few pounds but the other night at a party i told my friend about it and she said that they were just saying that and i said that i should start eating less seeing as i eat like more than 3 times a day and my friend got all upset andsaid thats the start of aneroexia is she right?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/04/01, 04:01 AM
Sufferers of anorexia nervosa lose weight because they believe themselves to be overweight, rather than losing weight at the suggestion of others.

That said, the industry you work in is high risk for eating disorders. Often it starts with losing some weight, enjoying the control this affords, then slowly body image becomes distorted. It is impossible to say at the start of a diet who will go on to healthily lose some weight, and who will go on to develop a disorder, although there are some predisposing factors, such as being a perfectionist.

You have to do what is right for you. If you think that you can lose a little weigth without becming obssessive, and being a model is important to you, then it may be ok.

If you already worry obssessively about your weight, and think you could be at risk, you have to have a serious think about your priorities.
Eating disorders are very unpleasant conditions, and can be fatal. There are also other far reaching health consequences - my 30 year old cousin recently had a simple trip on the pavement, and ended up breaking her spine, because her bones are now so thin due to anorexia.

take care