Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

I once was fat....now what?

Pheonix86
Pheonix86
United States
2005/02/14, 01:29 AM
Lol, i didn't know where else to come to ask this one. Last year was devoted to weight loss for me. It was mostly diet with exercize involved, but not as much. Specifically, i started last year on the South Beach Diet, and then just ate healthy all year. So, now i'm down from 210 to 160lbs. I dont want to lose another pound, so no worries there. One of the problems i ran into is a large loss of muscle, so now i'm just plain weak. This year i want to devote to strength training and getting my body fit and healthy..and quite frankly...hot.
I have a couple questions though. After losing lots of weight my body is rather....um...flimsy? I have no definition, nothing it tones. I have a high body fat percentage and i just feel like i look gross. Has anyone else run into this? And if so, will strenth training take care of it and tone everything back up?
Also, i have no butt! Random, i know..but when i lost weight..turns out it was just fat, and now its flat. What's the best way to build one without doing squats?
Thanks for readin all that :)
crispy01
crispy01
United States
2005/02/14, 09:51 AM
Strength training will definitely help you gain definition. But you must also stay with your diet and eat correctly. If you just lift weights and not stay on the diet then you will gain muscle but still not be defined because the fat covers the muscle. I came across the same problem you did. I lost over 50 pounds but it turned out it was a lot of muscle so I still looked fat. Then I found this site and learned that I was going about fitness all wrong. It is a combination of diet and exercise. Not one or the other. So definitely incorporate strength training into your routine. You also need to add some cardio.

Now for the butt problem. Squats are the best exercise to do to add muscle to your glutes. If you do not have a squat rack or the weights, then start off with just doing body squats. Also lunges are a great exercise to help build the glutes. Another exercise, I don't know the name of, is lie down on the floor and put your feet up on a couch, table, bench, bed, etc. then press with your glutes and hamstrings until you stomach and legs are even and straight, like you are making a bridge to the floor.

Hope this helps and good luck on your goals.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/14, 01:59 PM
workout and your body will start looking more hard and firm...everywhere!.........put a barbell on your back and squat.....it has other benifits besides just the butt.....deadlifts would help too.

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!
Pheonix86
Pheonix86
United States
2005/02/14, 05:59 PM
So, what's the right amount of cardio/weights for lean muscle? I know that to gain muscle it's high weight low rep, so how does that vary for lean?
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/02/14, 09:48 PM
well,
get your diet set: 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight at least, calculate your BMR and get your carbs and fat stablished.

in order to gain lean muscle mass, you need to eat healthy, avoiding simple carbs and "bad fats" (all satured and transfats) and eat complex carbs (as reb beans, whole wheat brands, oat, potatoes...) as well as good fats(from nuts, salmon, EFA).
you can check all of this on FTBuddy and also on BB1FIT grocery list for bodybuilders.

now, to avoid getting fat and stuff, you be the judge. after getting your diet, look how your body is reacting to it: if you dont gain muscle, that means you need to increase your food; if in the contrary you think you are accumulating fat, that means you need to cut off some macros(specially from carbs).

in order to have the body you want and stay healthy it is not matter of avoiding foods, it is only a good combination of your food: you need to know what to eat when to eat it.
and specially dont avoid fat: thats one of the biggest mistakes people make: they think avoinding fat is the way to fat loss.

there is more to talk about, but we could be here forever.
so i would recommend you to read this forum daily if you can and make some search on FTbuddy, you would be surprise of all the information you can find on this forum.

any further questions, dont hesitate to ask us.
hope it helps,
kakaroto
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/02/16, 12:34 PM
weight train 3-4 days a week.....cardio depends.....if you wanting to just add muscle your your frame....keep it under 3 days.....no more than 15mins at a time.

for reps....15-8 are good reps for beginers, to help you "learn" the movements, and to learn how your body will react. Worst thing you can do is get hurt over "trying" to do this weight.....just cause the reps are 15-8, doesn't mean its "light" you should barly get the 15th rep.....or just barly the 8th rep.......pureferribly if the weights so heavy you only get 14 or 7 is good......gives you somthing to work toward....that one extra rep.

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!