Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

How much cardio without losing muscle?

Ectoman
Ectoman
United States
2010/03/25, 08:11 PM
I am a 31 year-old male who is trying to gain muscle mass. I am naturally slender and would like to bulk up a little, yet also minimize body fat. I started a basic body building routine 3 months ago, and I am doing a 3 day split now. The question that I am struggling with is, I'd like to know exactly how much and what type of cardio to do per week, keeping in mind that I do not want to lose muscle in the process. Based on everything I've read, I am estimating that I should be doing cardio 2-3 times a week, for 20-30 mins, maybe at a moderate intensity...so I am thinking that I should just run at a moderate speed on the treadmill for these sessions, but I have read something about intervals and rowing being ideal cardio for someone like me, and I'm not even sure if I'm right on the moderate intensity part, maybe it should be low or high for that matter. I don't know, I just would like a weekly plan to gain muscle mass, not get fat, and stay in good cardiovascular health, and maybe even get a six pack eventually.