Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

hey all

chevellepunk
chevellepunk
United States
2003/01/31, 01:40 AM
Im a newbie here and just signed up..so first off hey all lol

Couple questions...Im 16 about 5'4 and weigh about 105 lbs which I feel is pretty light. It seems no matter what I do I can't gain weight. I work out at home mainly with a Gold's Gym home exercise all in one type machine. It uses the resistance bands. It seems the resistance bands supplied arent that challenging for me anymore. What should I do now? How can I increase my body weight and mass? It seems to me atleast the machine has more toned my muscles than anything

Also after reading the post about weight lifting affecting height does it sound like I may have stunted mine? I am only 5'4 and seem to be pretty small :/ I definatly dont want to stunt my growth. What ages are the normal Male growth spurts? Also what training should I be doing in order not to affect my growth? Thanks a bunch
erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2003/01/31, 08:12 AM
Men keep growing until they are 21/22 on average; basic advice is not to train before 14-16 (for a variety of other reasons). My advice for the training is to consider laying-off strength training for another year or two if you are worried, (so keep you reps at 8-12 rather than 4-8) but it should not be a problem. More importantly, ensure you eat correctly this is proven to stunt people’s growth.

The truth is many people who train are naturally short, this is for a variety of reasons including, they were picked on when young so took to weights to look big, the muscle looks bigger on a small frame so it is easier to look big if you are short, there height put them at a disadvantage for other sports (smaller stride / reach) but the enjoy sport. So when seeing a higher proportion of shorter people who look big it is a natural assumption to assume the two are linked, as far as I am aware this has not been proven.