Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

help out a beginner

Slider1164
Slider1164
United States
2002/03/22, 07:35 PM
Hi, im pretty much new to this, so bare with me.

I am 18, 6'1", and weigh 140lbs. I just started working out in the last 5 months or so, and I find it hard to stick to one routine because every friend/trainer/pro tells me something different. Right now I settled down on doing every body part twice a week (so to keep the muscle expanded), 4 sets for every work out, not overexhaust the muscle, and try to concentrate on squats.

I am not looking to be a pro =), just an outlined figure.

Specs... 145 on chest, 125 squats.

P.S. Is changing the workout for a muscle every time a good idea? Like doing dumbells first time and a barbell the second, as to confuse the muscle (dont understand the concept clearly).

Thanks.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/23, 02:04 AM
Welcome to ft! You should sign up for one of the mass programs here and have ft tailor your exercise routine.

To lessen your confusion, our bodies adapt very quickly to stress. We put stress on our bodies every time we work out and by changing routines every once in a while, you continue to challenge your body and not let it adapt so quickly.

Also, by using dumbbells, you are using more of your stabilizer muscles and working both sides of your body "evenly" as you can compensate for the weaker side when you only work with barbells.

Hope you understood these points. Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
dunlap
dunlap
United States
2002/05/03, 08:48 PM
I've been lifting for about a year and a half. the first thing that I learned was take in pointers but do what comes natural to you and also a lot of reseach on what lifts does what for the body. One last thing eat eat eat!!

--------------
NO PAIN NO GAIN!