Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Hawaii

Kidfreedom
Kidfreedom
United States
2004/06/12, 02:36 AM
Isaac Sopoaga, a defensive tackle out of the university of hawaii. created the biggest buzz when he recorded 42 reps in the 225-pound bench press. The sheer number of reps was impressive enough, but he also tossed in an added flair that really had scouts’ eyes popping. Olshansky, a native of the Ukraine, had just finished raising eyebrows with a 41-rep effort, the best of anybody up to that point, and Sopoaga decided he was going to beat that number. Upon reaching 28 reps, he stopped, took a breath and said, “Forty-one, here I come!”

Sopoaga said that, in his native Samoa, he was forced to work out by cutting down trees, lifting logs or carrying rocks through his house. He also wore a hat he made himself out of coconut leaves and said he was the youngest and smallest — at 6-foot-2, 318 pounds, mind you — of seven brothers.

Highly rated Texas DT Marcus Tubbs, who pounded out 29 reps, couldn’t help but marvel at the massive Samoan. “I couldn’t believe it!” Tubbs gushed. “He did 30 without stopping, took one real short breath and then just started going again. I just said, ‘Whoa!’ ”

He didn’t start playing football until his final year of high school, having been very active in rugby in his younger years. But when his friends and coaches saw how he ran people over playing rugby, they asked him to join the football team. Football has been his passion since then, including recording 33 sacks in one season (that’s not a typo) while playing junior-college ball at College of the Canyon in California.

42 reps is impressive, 45 reps was the combine record set a few years ago by an offensive linmenan....but....here is what is astonishing:

When Sapoaga was told he had missed the record, he was furious and reponded that he could have easily done 5 more. Viewers were skepticle but upon returning the the university of hawaii, Sapoaga put on a show as he pressed the same weight 52 times!

Pritchard
Pritchard
United Kingdom
2004/06/17, 03:13 PM
im sure that was interesting but i only read the very first and the last lines. sorry.

--------------
todays post was bought to you by the letter A.

youve got balls of big steel

cha-mone motha hubbard, big up ya bad self, etc etc

i like honeydew melon

A.D.F.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/06/17, 03:46 PM
Wow.

--------------
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/06/20, 09:53 AM
may I ask how big this line man/ definsive tackle is? I mean definsive tackles and line man are near the 300 mark

so lets see 300 line man, benching 225 his 75lbs more than the weight.......so i'm about 250 so thats like me pressing 175 that many times...........and my record is 185 for 20 reps? Lighting it 10 lbs and with actually working on the reps I could do that within a year or so.
Its impressive to have that much musclear indurance, but I have seen a 200lb guy bench 225 like 15 times i'm sorry but that impresses me more.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/06/20, 11:09 AM
Dude, your not benching 175 lbs 52 times. That is impressive no matter how much he weighs.

--------------
david_s81
david_s81
United States
2004/06/20, 04:16 PM
I gotta give it up to the samoan dude. That's strong. I heard about that a while back, when the draft was happening. I don't remember hearing about the 52 reps though.

--------------
A broken clock is right twice a day
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/06/20, 07:18 PM
got bored reading it........just read the whole thing........he's 318..........still to me thats not as impressive but to each their own...............i wonder what somaoan will he bring up next?

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/06/20, 07:21 PM
225 lbs 52 times is impressive. I dont care how much you weigh. Andrew, I honestly believe that you have a deep hate for the bench press. Did you have a bar fall on your chest as a child or something?

--------------