Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Diet: Muscle up, fat down

roopak
roopak
India
2004/10/24, 02:17 PM
Hi All,

Some advice please...

I'm 5'9"/176cm and weigh 167lb/76 kg. I'm trying to bulk up a little but more importantly am aiming for high-definition (and hand in hand, fat loss). I work out 6 times with 15 to 30 minutes of cardio, ab crunches (currently at 140 x 4), then 1-2 body parts. One of the 6 days is only cardio and abs.

I've made a great amount of progress since I started in Setpember and I have approxmiately another 7 weeks to reach my objective (auditioning for a part in a movie) after which I want to maintain (or work for a little more enhancement).

My question is really regarding my diet...

IS VARIATION REALLY IMPORTANT?

because I eat a lot of the same.

My basic guideline is 150g+ of protein and under 150g of carb a day. Fat is kept in check arbitrarily but I'm very good about it, even trying to stick to white meat as much as possible over red meat.

I generally work out between 11:00 and 1:30 on week days(varies some times) and around 2pm on weekends (a couple of hours after I wake up).

My general pattern is:

By the time I workout:
- 10 almonds (for hair, skin & memory...not related to bod enhancement plan)
- 400 ml of pure fruit juice (~50 g Carb)
- 2 bananas or 1 banana & cereal w/skimmed milk (~50g Carb)

WORKOUT

- 140g Albacore tuna in water (30g protein)
- Lunch right after tuna: salmon, turkey, chicken, etc and veggies or salad (no dressing)...(50-60g protein & 10-15g of carb)

Evening:
6 egg whites, 1 yolk with 100-140g of lean turkey/chicken or another can of tuna (75g protein)

Questions:
- There's a litte variation here and there but not much. Does this matter?

- Should I consume more protein?

- Is 150g of carb fine or would consuming a little more probably have a significant effect on my output at the gym>?

Oh and I drink 2 liters+ of water a day to keep my kindeys protected from the excess protein.

Comments and advice please!

thanks,
roopak

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/10/24, 03:43 PM
Hey there roopak and welcome to FT! first thing you can't really bulk up and loose fat at the same time. To get bigger you need more calories than you burn in one and and to loose weight you need less calories than you burn in one day. Secondly now i don't know if i'm reading this right but are you doing 140 crunches at 4 sets?if so i would stop immediately, your abs are like any other muscle group and needs weight resistance in order to grow, would you do 140 bicep curls at 4 reps with no weight? I suggest signing up for the 12 ab program here FT to get you started in the right direction. Diet is going to be 75% of your gains. I'm 5'10" 185 and i am for about 330g. of protein and i'm at about 430g of carbs. Your diet looks like it needs a good amoutn of work. You need to eat 6-7 small meals a day with good clean foods. You should check out the bodybuilders grocery list and do you shopping from there. Then you need to determine your maintenance caloric intake and adjust from there by 250 calories a day per week until you see the scale going in the direction you want(up or down) When loosing weight 1 pound a week is a good judge that your loosing more fat than muscle. When loosing weight no matter what you do you will loosee muscle how much is dependant upon you diet. A gallon of water or more a day is sufficient. Well that seems to be a good start,using the fitbuddy search at the bottom of the page is also a good tool to find information on whatever goal your shooting for. Good Luck:big_smile:
roopak
roopak
India
2004/11/01, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the advice Justin!

I actually have a few constraints that I didn't mention. I have to look as good as possible by the end of this year. I should probably concentrate on definition rather than size (for the moment at least). Unfortunately, I also have practical constraints on the number of times I can eat daily.

However, in the 2 months that I've been following this, I've made significant progress. I can try to get in some size later. That's also why I'm limiting my carb. I've also quit alcohol for the month of Novmeber. All for that elusive 6 pack.

And about the abs, I'm confused. I've read in other places that 6 times a week is fine. I'm not using any weights...just pure gravity. Is it really like the biceps?

What do you think?

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/11/01, 04:13 PM
Well i'm assuming that by getting definition you think you need to do high reps with light weight right..? Well don't do that or you will loose muscle. Lift heavy and eat right. If you want max results you need to concentrate on nutrition. 150g of carbs a day will lead to muscle loss eating less is not the key to weight loss. like i said do a search at the bottom on some of these questions. as for your abs they're muscles just like every other muscle and will not grow with out weight resistance you can do as many crunches as you want but without weight you will see no 6 pack also if you have never done risistance weight training on your abs and are trying to loose weight by revealing your 6 pack it just ain gonna happen. You have to build the muscle there in order to reveal it i.e. gaining weight. Don't know what you mean by "is it really like biceps?"
Why must you look the best you can by the end of the year? I'm guessing you mean January, this is where most people bulk up because its cold out and you likely won't have your shirt off outside.
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/11/04, 04:31 PM
i think to get ripped you just need to lose fat.
i personally dont make high reps with less weight, i just eat less