Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

deadlift

mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/12, 09:05 AM
Greeting's I was reading a article on training leverages. One of the comments was that for the short legged long torsoed individual the deadlift is a excersise in torture. I agree totaly I am 6'4 with a 28 inch inseam(they call me torso man at work lol)When I am dead lifting the pain in my lower back can be quite strong. I know I have some back issues from being overweight and because of foot problems. What can I do to over come my build and strengthen my lower back. I have been doing hypers also but they to become painfull fast also. - Mike

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am a beast and that is enough.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/14, 01:01 AM
Tons of weighted abs and trunk work. Back hypers and reverse hypers are essential. Start with sets of 10 and just use your body weight. Also do decline sit-ups and roman sit-ups. Start with body weight. Try 3 sets of 10 to 20 on each of those. If the back hypers are too hard start out then try a basic superman on your stomach. Good mornings will also be essential for you. Start with just the bar for sets of 10.
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/14, 01:15 AM
Thanks gatormade I will give it a go.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am a beast and that is enough.
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/03/18, 01:34 AM
are your making sure you are using perfect form? when i first started doing deadlifts i was using my back to do them. With a straight bar i know that sometimes this can be unavoidable but if you can , try using a trap bar. If you can't just try and keep a straight back firm grip and stand up with your legs. I don't have a very strong lower back either but i have strong legs and a good grip and good form and i deadlift 350lbs. I'm 6'3'' and weigh 215.

Hope this helps.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/18, 09:30 AM
If you perform a deadlift correctly you will use your back. That is why training the low back and abs is crucial to deadlift success. The key is keeping the back flat or slightly arched. Rounding off the lower back is when you get hurt deadlifting. If you don't use your back enough then you are probably using too much quad strength to lift the weight. Deadlifts should tax your hamstrings, glutes, and low back more than your quads. Strengthen your lower back because good football players need to have a strong back anyway.