Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Combining Cardio with Weights???

Gaurang
Gaurang
India
2001/03/26, 02:36 PM
Hi There!!
Well I was a on the Fat side of life 2 years before but then i joined the gym and lost around 18kgs but i realized that i lost a lot of muscle with it.
So i left gym and gained back the weight which i had lost i felt that i had to get back in shape again so i decided to join the gym again so after about 2 months i lost around 5kgs till that time i used to do only cardio and stomach exercizes and light streching. I want to know whether by combining Weights with Jogging and Cardio will i lose weight more faster and become more firm or not? that is i do streching and stomach crunches and then jog for 30 minutes and then should i do weights after that in order to lose fat more faster and become more firm or not? i read somewhere that it is possible but want some more help!!!
sunnyjack
sunnyjack
United States
2001/03/26, 04:33 PM
Gaining muscle will help you lose fat - yes. Also, consistancy in your program will help you avoid gaining back fat that you lost. I would combine cardio and weights - skip the jogging if you are overweight - it's too much strain on the knees - stick to low impact fat burning cardio instead.

skylar
skylar
United States
2001/03/26, 11:26 PM
You should cycle through periods of training for lean muscle with low cardio or no cardio to let the nutrients you intake "make" muscle. Cycle then through periods of cardio and weight with cardio periods that may be 60 minutes along with increased protein to help offset the bodies need for energy during periods of decreased calories. "Listen" to what your body tells you about timing these cycles of mass/strength gains and aerobic gains with strength maintenance. Muscle burns more calories so weights are important to maintain muscle while trying to shed unwanted fat.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/03/26, 11:31 PM
Hey there,
Also want to add that weight training helps to keep the metabolism elevated for greater periods of time post-workout when combined with aerobics. Literature supports both stances as to cardio before or after weights but I find that in the toning/weight/fate reduction stage that 12-20 minutes aerobics pre-workout followed by 30-40 minutes aerobics post-workout allows me to keep my weights at their max level while allowing for aerobic training.
tt_rocker
tt_rocker
Saudi Arabia
2001/03/29, 03:29 PM

just a fast note...do cardio after you weight train so that you won't lose the energy for the tough lifting.
bore
bore
United States
2001/04/02, 04:15 AM
Muscle burns fat. The more you have the easier it is to burn fat. I would lift weights and do cardio if i were you.

Rob