Group: Lose Weight or Lose Fat

Created: 2012/01/23, Members: 254, Messages: 127

Think about which one is truly your goal.

Join group

Cardio

goleafsgo93
goleafsgo93
Canada
2012/04/10, 12:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've just joined the site and signed up to start my program today.  My goal is to shed as much fat as possible (approx 20-30lbs), while still maintaining and growing my muscle mass.  The program I signed up for is strictly weight training exercises with high reps, lower weight.

Should I still be doing cardio on the side?  I've heard rumors that if you do too much cardio mixed with weight training, you'll burn muscle as well as fat.  This I dont want.

If I'm doing a program that splits muscle groups over a 2 days on, 1 day off / week, how much cardio should I be doing?  And what type? HIIT? Long cardio at 65% max HR?

The summer is quickly approaching and I need some advice!

Thanks in advance!
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/04/12, 09:26 AM
Cardio and weight training together will burn fat far more effectively than weights alone.

As far as 'too much' cardio that it undoes your muscle building, theres 2 things to consider.

Light weight, lots of reps builds endurance, not bulk. Bulk comes from heavy weight, less reps.

Focus on AT LEAST 30 mins of cardio in your target heart zone (google for the chart) and build up your duration.

Your body only eats muscle for energy when it runs out of fuel. So the easy solution is to eat and drink and train wisely :). Its more of an issue for folks doing marathons or triathlons of long periods of activity with little or no rest or opportunity to refuel. Ie this is why long distance runners are typically extremely lean. Getting enough food in is a challenge to meet their demands. But on the flipside, a 200lb man isnt built to run far and fast.

Good luck and set goals and a schedule at reachable intervals where you want to be and push!!
goleafsgo93
goleafsgo93
Canada
2012/04/12, 03:34 PM
Thanks Fyrblade!

What are your thoughts on HIIT?

Should I do cardio before or after weights and should I do cardio on every workout day (2 days on 1 day off)?
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/04/12, 04:30 PM
Its just my opinion, but depending where your cardio is at now, it sounds like you may just be getting started.  If that's the case, I'd say take it easy, start with doing your 30+ mins at 65% MHR, and when you're at the point where you're adding more time, and comfortable with doing it, then start experimenting.  Maybe a day a week, and go from there.  The key is to keep challenging yourself, but your challenge must be achievable.  Results come best for me when I reach my goals, and raise the bar.  And now and then I'll blow those goals away and know it's time to set that bar even higher. 

You can do eet!