Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

calf exercises

bicep18
bicep18
United States
2003/11/23, 03:42 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for building them up? I am a 20yr old male into bodybuilding. I like to train barefoot usually doing light squats to warm up. Then standing calf raises on a block. I get a real burn but my progress is slow. What can I do?
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2003/11/23, 03:49 AM
First off, calves are the most genetically predisposed muscle in the entire body, so if you're born with small calves you can never have huge caves, but you can improve on them. Most people believe that you should use high reps to get the burn in the calves, but the truth us that they are used to endurance activities because you walk on them all day, so in order to shock them, use a weight in which you will fail in a mass buildin zone, such as 6-10. One good excersise that I've found that work well is pointed-toes leg curls. It is simply a leg curl, but you keep your toe pointed as much as you can through the entire movement, keeping the calf flexed. Good Luck!
bowers
bowers
United States
2003/11/23, 04:11 AM
Whoa lets slow down here. First off everybody has a different genetic make-up. This doesn't mean that if you have small calves or any other body part you will always have said small body part. If you believe that then you've defeated yourself from the get go. Second a leg curl builds hamstring or rear leg developement. Pointing your toes in one direction or the other during a leg curl will not force your calves to grow. You should probably check into a heavy or moderately heavy calve raise or donkey raise. There are many different ways to build calves. Lastly calves will generally take a little more time to develope. Some people consider them the biceps of the leg and therefore need to be "punished" accordingly. Make sure your diet is up to par lift hard keep good form and good luck