Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Bing eating

Yumi
Yumi
United States
2005/03/30, 08:53 PM
I believe my eating problem is the biggest problem that blocks fat loss.

I don't know what type of problem you call I have, but I cannot stop eating once I put food in my mouth. It could be carb, nuts, meat, but the carb is the main one.

About 4 years ago, I stop eating rice, bread, crackers, chips etc, but still ate fruits. When I didn't eat them, I didn't have the craving.

I still don't have them normally, but when I do, I cannot stop. I would eat whole bags of chip, whole box of crackers, tons of bread, even I'm feeling really full and unconfortable.

Best senario for me if I have someone that control access to food, like I have a gate keeper that I have to pass before getting any food.

If I'm not too busy at work, I'm ok. But when it is slow, I start thinking about crackers etc, and I try to fight it, but sometime hard. I tell myself "just one", and I keep eating.

Today I stop at 2, and chewed gum. If I get though a week, I should be fine.

How does other people handle this?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/04/01, 03:51 AM
Don't have any unhealthy snacks in the house or accessible at work.

Eat a small meal containing protein every 3 hours - this will help curb your appetite.

Have healthy snacks feely available (e.g. celery or carrot sticks).

If you do slip up, move forward and don't dwell on it.

Good luck :)
sassy_gal
sassy_gal
Australia
2005/04/04, 04:58 AM

hiyahh
im the same but my binge eating is getting worse and worse with everyday and i just dont know what triggert it or what to do anymore. i was and still am on atkins last year i ddi loose quite a lot through that but then one day after the other i started to hv more and more cravings. the worst was 4 days in a row craving for sweets and i would eat all day. it was terrible i was in tears and still am cos now i binge at least every 3, 4 day for 2 days and i dont know what to do. after the binge i would not eat for a day or only take 500kcal to me the following days eat normal and exercise every day at the gym for 1 hour. but then all over sudden i start thinking about food again and cant controll it. i would stuff myself with bread and sweets,fruits, ... i put on 15kg over the past few month, cry almost every day when i hv the binges and after. could the atkins make the binges worse??? - today i did something that might was long overdue i finally spoke to someone about it and made an appointment with a psychologist. i need help and cant talk to any of my friends or family about it. im soo ashamed of myself and dont even meet up with friends who i hv not seen for ages just cos im scared what they might think seeing me like that. im soo scared, i dont know whats wrong with me and i feel all alone.
ebla123
ebla123
United States
2007/07/03, 10:57 AM
I always thought that bing eatting was only something i did. I never knew that there is others out there :(. I can so relate to everyone of you here and it is heart breaking. I have personally been battling this problem since i was 9yrs old and need to fix it. I am so tired of going in a circle and ending up in the same spot. Over weight, sad, lonely, and disapointed in myself. For the first time in years i finally told my boyfriend of 7 years and my sister that i have this problem and begged them for help. I will tell you this though the first step isd to admit we have this problem and instead of dwelling on it we AS a team can fight it and help one another. :big_smile:
horizonwife
horizonwife
United States
2008/01/16, 02:11 AM
It's so comforting to read that other people fight this problem too. I just had the worst day--I looked back over what I ate today and it scared me.
White crackers with deli cheese
easy cheese in a can
birthday cake
M & M's
Ice cream with Ovaltine on top
Potato chips
more M & M's

EIGHT complete violations of good sense today. WHAT the heck am I doing with my life? My mother is diabetic, and did this the whole time I was growing up, and I'm just like her. I don't want to be. I feel rather powerless to break the cycle though, like I am sabotaging myself.
But that's why I'm here!! Let's make this happen people!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/16, 01:57 PM
Great job coming here and admitting that you have the issues horizon. Not to sound like AA or anything. lol.
I had the same problem in the past, got into a healthy lifestyle and got to where I only binged when I had PMS, and am now "binge free". Below is how I beat it, it may not work for everyone but worked great for me.
Take every day one at a time. Plan out your meals in advance, even if it's just the night before.
Have healthier substitues for your major vices. Chips were my MAJOR problem. I bought a box of Special K cereal and would munch on that when I craved chips. It wasn't the best, but was better than chips, and most importantly, broke the habit of digging into the chips the minute I got home from work. No amount of fruit would make me feel better, I needed to hear the russle of the bag and hear that "crunch" when I chewed on the chips. The Special K was the best substitute.
As Princesslodgey mentioned above, eat several small meals a day, or 3 meals with a couple snacks in between.
Ok, what I'm about to say is going to sound totally Dr. Phil or Richard Simmons. Positive self talk is key. When you feel poorly about yourself, you punish yourself, or you don't feel as though you deserve to be good to yourself. When you are working out, getting ready for work, eating a healthy meal, tell yourself how awesome you are. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it really does work. You will build up your own self worth to a point where you no longer want to sabotage yourself and you want to make good decisions.
To some of the other posters who say that they crave and binge on the Atkins and no carb diets.... This reason specifically is why I think that the no carb diets are so dangerous. Your body is meant to take in a certain level of carbs and eliminating them completely leads to this type of binge behavior wanting bread, sugar, etc. Any diet that requires you to completely cut out an entire food group should be avoided, in my humble opinion.
Good luck to you!
sebennett
sebennett
Canada
2008/03/10, 09:12 PM
i ate half a jar of nutella today and a lot of peanut butter, sometimes i just can't stop thinking about food
again
again
United States
2008/03/17, 01:31 PM
I don't know why this happened but the last post was mine from last night. Anyone understand why my login isn't at the top?

again

--------------
again
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/03/17, 02:30 PM
Good job Sam and stick with it. You will get there. Your login isn't on your post probably because you timed out. When you type for a long period of time it does that.
You are so right when you talk about caring for our spirits. True health comes from a combination of mind, body and spirit. I know that not everyone agrees with your approach to quit eating and no TV after 7:00. I have an 8:00 rule myself, that's when the kids go to bed. That's when I wash my face and put on all my anti wrinkle cremes, floss my teeth, do my whole beauty regimine, then I'll do 30 minutes of yoga and drink a nice cup of camomille tea. 8:00 signals "me hour" and I don't feel quite right the next day without it.
Again, bravo and good luck!
again
again
United States
2008/03/21, 02:31 AM
Amy

Thanks for the kudos! Today I needed to be reminded it's good. I am having one of my attacks of insomnia which could consievably throw me off for two more days. I love the idea of doing the yoga before bed. I used to stretch before bed but let that go with a relatively recent knee injury. I think I will ok the yoga with my doctor and start that. I know it will help me to sleep. Thanks again.

Sam