Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Beneficial lifting?

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/28, 10:45 PM
How many times a week would you suggest lifting muscle groups? As of now I'm doing a 4 day split -

Mon. - Tri's & Shoulders (ABs)
Tue. - Upper back, lower back
Wed. - REST (ABs)
Thurs. - Chest & Bi's
Fri. - Complete legs(ABs)
Sat. - REST
Sun. - REST (ABs)

working each individual muscle group once per week as of now, but was thinking of upping to a twice a week per muscle group.. Can anyone show me a good plan for this? Or is this a bad idea? Help is much appreciated!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/28, 11:41 PM
You will definitely get a better responce from someone like BB1Fit in the Bodybuilding forum as to this is a Powerlifting & Strenght forum and most don't do splits here.

IMO lower back should be hit on leg day.

Not trying to be mean and NO it's not a Bad Idea but your going to benefit better in the other forum.

Now if your thinking of changing to a Westside Style or 5x5 or like me a twist of both then guys here can help you allot.

Took me awhile to learn where to ask and the differences of the 2 as in here most on the big lifts like Squats, Deadlifts and Bench are doing reps of 1 to 5 as in a split type routine you can go from 6 to 9 or higher like 8 to 12 or even higher.

It's two different beasts both being good but 2 different goals.

I hope I made sense and help!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/28, 11:53 PM
Actually all these places would suite best for your type of routine.

General Exercise & Weight Training

Intermediate & Advanced Weight Training - Bodybuilding

Beginners to Weight Training - Fitness

--------------
2008/11/29, 08:16 PM
If your goal is not strict bodybuilding and you're natural, I would use a more strength oriented lifting approach. 5x5, push/pull/squat, 3x3, 5/3/1, and various other programs work quite well.

I would think of 'movements' rather than bodyparts as your body functions as a unit. Pick few key lifts that work your entire body and work your ass off.

Squats
Deadlifts
Standing Press
Bench
Chins
etc
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/11/29, 08:40 PM
menace is correct as I stayed weak on splits and started getting strong with 5x5 and now have it modified as shown in my log.

Splits are not bad but get strong 1st then if you want to go for looks do so but going for looks 1st and not being naturally strong already will keep you weak or at lest it did for me.

3.5 years at this and only 6.5 months on a strength program is why my number are low and weak I should have went for strength right off the bat.

All my lifts jump a huge margin after I started a 5x5 and they are progressing better now that I added speed work and pauses.

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/11/30, 04:37 PM
Well i/my group of lifters train bench, squat, decline, deadlift( m , t , th, fri)

on wed and saturdays we do 1-3 things:

either extra acessory work but light5 sets of 12 on lats,traps, abs, calves, rear delts....baiscly a active recovery day kinda.

or we do what I stated above as a warm up...3x12...and do some olympic lifting again not going ape shit.

saturdays we usualy do somthing a lil more fun...doing some grip work, log pressing, cleans with thick bar, front squats

You can train certain body parts more than once a week, just don't go ape shit. If you wanna do chest 2x a week...go for it.....one day go heavy 8 or fewer reps..maybe 4-6 sets. other day...3 sets of 12 or 15?

But in our group our "bread and butter"....is our traps, lats, rear delts( basicly upper back)...it helps on benching more, pulling more, and even in squats....so we do that alot.

As long as your eating enough....geting enough rest and recovery....have at it.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"