Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

3 meals a day? HUH?

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/13, 04:42 PM
Hi! So, for 2-3 years I've consistently eaten 5-6 meals a day. A good mix of protien, carbs, fat, all within my acceptable calorie count for my weight, and planned deficit including exercise for weight loss. I have been losing between 0 - 1 lb per week for the past year or so, and have been at a plateau for a while. So, I tried upping my water consumption, changing up my workout routine, changing my snacks, etc. Still at a plateau.
This past week I was very busy at work with meetings, etc. and only got in one snack on tuesday meaning that I only ate 3 meals a day the rest of the week. By dinner I realized that I was short on calories and would eat more than normal at dinner to make sure that I got adequate calories for the day, still equalling what I was eating at 5 meals.
So, I jumped on the scale this morning and lost 5 lbs this week. And not just on the scale, but my pants actually fit loser around the waist. HUH? So, I'm stumped on why this is happening. Did the drastic change in habit just jump start my system? If so, should I stick with the 3 meals even though I know that it's not the best approach. Do I stick with 3 meals and alternate with 5 meals after a few weeks?
I won't lie, the extra weight loss boost was a welcome loss, so I'm not complaining, I obviously broke the plateau (on accident) but wonder how to keep it going.
thanks!
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/01/13, 06:03 PM
5 to 6 meals a day isn't the best approach IMO for fat burn weight loss it's just 1 approach.

I did 5 meals a day for over a year and it sucked eating these little meals and I get great results eating 3 bigger meals a day and healthy snacks in between.

I'm more satisfied why a larger meal and I don't get hunger as fast!

Now on the other hand for a huge bodybuilder which I'm not that has to eat allot I mean allot of food then the 4 to 6 meals a day might take place best as I'm sure one of their meals may equal one of mine but 5 would be 2 to many for me as I would be over eating!

My point is it's was real nice to get off that 5 meal deal and start eating normal meals instead of 5 teasing meals a day!

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/01/14, 07:30 AM
Thanks SFGiants. I guess I should have specified, I've been eating 3 meals and two healthy snacks in between, not 5 actual meals. So, I basically cut out the snacks by mistake.
I guess after reading your post, I realize that the best way to lose weight is going to vary person to person and there is no black and white catch all formula. which I knew, just needed reminded. :) I think I'm going to stick to this 3 meal deal for a while (I have to admit I went to bed feeling just the tiniest bit hungry and it felt kind of nice). Once I hit a plateau again, I'll mix it up. Thanks SF.