Group: Daily Challenges & Check-in's - Stay on Track

Created: 2012/01/24, Members: 320, Messages: 464

A great way to keep on track and get support from others to help reach your goals. A great group to help you stay committed! Choose a DISCUSSION TOPIC and share your day with the rest of us in .. stay on track!

Join group

12 hour shift

2012/02/27, 09:02 AM
Im working a 12 hour shift, any suggestions on how to get my workout in or after work?
2012/02/27, 10:17 AM
What does your entire week usually look like?
2012/02/27, 11:12 AM
it varies this week I work today off tues, wed, thur, and work Fri, sat, sun all 12 hour shifts.
2012/02/27, 11:33 AM
The reason I ask it to get a feel for how many days off you can string together . We have a widely varying schedule. I often lift 3 or 4 days in a row. When I can't lift, I try to get in a long brisk walk, canoe ride or swim in the summer. It isn't the optimum plan for a perfect schedule of lifting and resting but the bottom line is even if you have to work out 3 days in a row, its better than not doing it.

I do a full body workout for 6 to 8 weeks and then do a split for 6 to 8 weeks. You can do legs, back, abs one day then do arms shoulders and abs/low back the next and on the third day do chest , upper back and abs/low back. This breaks up the areas of your body so they can recover. While it would be best to work a Monday WednesdayFriday split it is still better to get the workouts in any way you can.

I would limit my 12 hour work days to cardiac work if you find it too difficult to get a workout in on those days. Hope this helps.
2012/02/27, 01:13 PM
Thanks for suggestions.
CRNP
CRNP
United States
2012/02/27, 06:04 PM
When I was doing 12 hour shifts, I worked out in the morning and made sure to take my dinner to work with me.  I worked 7 to 7, and when I got home I didnt have to worry about eating or working out, since I was xtra tired from getting up early. It was kind of a pain at first because I would literally eat all my meals and snacks at the hospital, I used to come to work with a huge lunchbox full of goodies!  But I found it was both good for me and a positive influence for the unit.  I say all this, but I am a morning person, I get up early and go to bed early!  Dont know what your acuity is like, or how your breaks are structured but if possible, you could pack a quick lunch that can be eaten on the fly and use your covered lunch break to walk (even if it is up and down the stairwell of the hospital)  Just pack some presoaped wipes, deodorant and an xtra scrub top....oh and if you wear danskos, bring some sneakers! You can even recruit a few other nurses/staff to join, can help motivate :-)  Good Luck!  12 hour shifts are hard, and you spend the entire shift on your feet, running mentally and physically.  Kudos to you for both what you do and what you are doing! Good luck :-)