Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Calf support

erirvine
erirvine
United Kingdom
2002/12/12, 05:21 AM
I always thought I had weak calves as I climbed and jumped from fairly high stuff when I was a kind consequently I injured my ankles and Achilles tendon a lot. I have got a large lump on my right Achilles tendon that I think is scarring from one of those injuries, and my ankles feel fairly weak when my foot moves to the side (the base of my foot tilting so it is not parallel with the ground). So avoided using heavy weights when training them.

However over the last few months I have boosted my cardio and found the need to wear shorts in the gym and wanting my calves to stop looking so puny so started weak point training them. To my surprise I have not found a weight I can’t lift on the calf machine (I am only gradually increasing the weight to not injure myself), even having to add extra weights to the machine. On Monday I did 3 sets of 10 reps of 450kg (the machine only goes up to 275kg + body weight normally!). But my calves still feel weak if I tilt my foot to the side has anyone got any suggestions as to how to train this as I feel it is a real weakness to my overall training.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/12/12, 08:02 AM
I have no experience with this particular injury but how you train calves might help some. A lot of people use the calf machines and always hit it from the same angle (feet straight). Try hitting them from with toes pointed in and then out to better hit the muscle. Concentrate on the stretch at the top and never bounce at the bottom but get a good stretch. Try different angles/weights to avoid adding to your problem rather than helping it.
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2002/12/12, 10:20 AM
I recently read an article suggesting that you don't point your toes in and out. Rather, it suggested that you could get the same effect, with a much lower risk of injury, by simply changing the distance between your feet. I have tried this and it does work great. I feel like I have more stability than pointing my toes in one direction or the other. Do calve raises with your feet close, then shoulder width, then slightly wider. Also, I get much better strength and size gains through a donkey calf machine rather than the standing calf raise. Try it as well if your gym has one.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2002/12/12, 11:06 AM
It sounds to me like the problem is in the ankle, not the calves. Try an exercise dancers use: Sit with your legs extended straight in front of you, and keep your back straight and pulled up tall. Feeling the extension lengthen all the way to your toes, trace the alphabet with your big toes. Your should feel your ankles working. Do this a few times a day whenever you have a few minutes. You will feel more 'secure' through the ankle within a few weeks.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2002/12/13, 12:16 PM
The calves are a very hard/tuff muscle to develope, its because they are used everyday. I get good results from working them every other day w/3 sets of high reps(15-20), make sure to focus on a (long slow rep)- go all the way down and all the way back up, w/a good 2 second squeez and hold at the top end. The "key" here is proper form, and good weight resistance.

============
Quoting from erirvine:

I always thought I had weak calves as I climbed and jumped from fairly high stuff when I was a kind consequently I injured my ankles and Achilles tendon a lot. I have got a large lump on my right Achilles tendon that I think is scarring from one of those injuries, and my ankles feel fairly weak when my foot moves to the side (the base of my foot tilting so it is not parallel with the ground). So avoided using heavy weights when training them.

However over the last few months I have boosted my cardio and found the need to wear shorts in the gym and wanting my calves to stop looking so puny so started weak point training them. To my surprise I have not found a weight I can’t lift on the calf machine (I am only gradually increasing the weight to not injure myself), even having to add extra weights to the machine. On Monday I did 3 sets of 10 reps of 450kg (the machine only goes up to 275kg + body weight normally!). But my calves still feel weak if I tilt my foot to the side has anyone got any suggestions as to how to train this as I feel it is a real weakness to my overall training.

=============

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"