Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

GNC protein worth it?

d_kett
d_kett
United States
2002/08/18, 03:23 PM
I went to GNC awhile ago and bought a 2 LB container of MEGA WHEY protein. I thought it looked good b/c it has Glutamine and BCAA's, which i heard are very helpful. But i was just wondering if the 35$ price is worth it. it calls for 65 grams per serving and that will give 40g of protein and 5g glutamine and 3g BCAA. I got is for slightly less that 35 bucks b/c i'm a gold memeber at GNC but with only 14 servings in the container for like 30 bucks it will only last me like 2 weeks and that will get a little spendy. Is there a different brand i should be getting or is this good stuff? Also if i do like it i suppose i could go to like larger size which should drop the price/pound. Any thoughts?

lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/08/18, 04:01 PM
We said it once and we will say it again. GNC is really not the first choice to buy at.
Look into cheaper brands and if you plan to keep using it you can get better deals on 5LB containers that last longer and cost less. Look into OPTIMUM WHEY. It is one of the cheapest on the market but is very good for the buck. Other people recommend EAS SIMPLY WHEY. I for one cant stand the taste of EAS. But try different ones till you find one that you like the taste of and that mixes easily.

--------------
"Imagine what you could do,
if you could do what you imagine."
lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/08/18, 04:02 PM
Oh yeah and while your at it please fill out your profile.

Thanks and good luck.
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/08/18, 07:57 PM
I buy GNC 100% Whey. It is not that expensive and it mixes fairly well. The first couple times I took it though, it was nasty, but I am used to it now. I think that it works alright. I spent $51.00 on a 6lb tub.

--------------
Lisa
BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/08/19, 11:20 AM
I also use GNC 100% Whey protein. It's only 20 grams protein per serving but you can many more servings (94 I think) than with Mega Whey. It's a little lumpy in milk but mixes just fine in water. Strawberry seems to be the most bearable of the 3 flavors. I buy L-glutamine separately; it's cheap enough.
brettmatthew
brettmatthew
United States
2002/08/19, 01:15 PM
Hey Drew...

Like lewdog said, I wouldn't even bother with GNC. They are definitely overpriced. I buy from netrition.com if I'm being lazy and don't want to walk 10 blocks to vitamin shoppe(they have excellent prices too, you should check and see if you have one in your area). You can find a lot of good brands of 5 lb canisters of whey protein that are as good or better than the GNC brand. For example, netrition.com sells a 5 lb of ISS Research Whey Protein for 26.99. Even if you take 2 servings a day it will still last you 40 days. Also, try supplementcentral.com, I found that they have very good prices/products too.

good luck...
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/08/19, 02:32 PM
Do a search of the archives, I posted a long message on a price comparision I did (I was like you and bought from GNC first, then did the research). Turned out, GNC wasn't the most expensive but it wasn't the cheapest, it was middle of the road. The key to getting good value is BUY IN BULK! Don't buy 2 lbs tubs - buy the big 5 lbs tubs, the cost is cut by over a half (when looking at price per serving). If I remember right, price per serving hovered around $1.00 when buying the smaller tubs. When you buy the big tubs, the price per serving drops down to around $0.45. And this is true for most brands, not just one particular brand. As they say in the business world, VOLUME! VOLUME! VOLUME!