Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

cost effective whey protein products

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/14, 03:36 PM
A while back, there've been posts about what's the most cost effective/best whey proteins to buy? Well, I put together a spreadsheet and analyzed it; I thought I'd share. (I'm bored at work :-)

I compared a bunch of whey protein powders (28 of them) on the Netrition site - compared price (including shipping), serving sizes, nutrition info - also did a price comparision with the NutriPro site. FWIW, prices are basically the same between the two sites with a couple of notable exceptions below.

Seems buying in bulk does wonders :-) All the 5-lb tubs are cheaper than their smaller counterparts. All the 5-lb products cost about 45 cents per serving, while the smaller sized products averaged $1.13 a serving! The percentage of protein in each serving are about the same, so it isn't like you're getting less protein per serving. Note that I did not compare whether one was an isolate versus concentrate or the like. I looked at what was on the nutrition labels only.

The two best that came out on top are "Champion Pure Whey Protein Stack" and "EAS Simply Whey Protein". And it's funny because it is these two that have the biggest price difference between the two Internet sites I checked (Netrition is $3.50 to $4.00 more expensive). Practically all of the other products don't have that price gap - I can only guess that Netrition probably understands these are the better products when compared to the others and they charge accordingly.

Champion cost 49 cents a serving (44 cents if you buy from NutriPro) and EAS SimplyWhey costs 44 cents (39 cents from NutriPro). The difference? Each serving in Champion has 81.3% protein, while EAS has 74.1% protein (looking at the protein per serving divided by the serving size). If you REALLY are interested in this (and you are if you read this far into my ramblings :) it costs 1.9 cents per gram of protein in Champions, while it costs 2.1 cents per gram of protein in EAS. You get more protein in Champions, but more servings (and hence slightly more "fillers") in EAS.

Netrition NutriPro Servgs ServgSize Protein
Champion $35.00 $30.75 71 32g 26g
EAS $35.00 $31.50 80 28.35g 21g

Anyway, I thought this whole thing was interesting, so I decided to post this. Sorry if I bored you :-) Next to the Soy Proteins...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/14, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the research!!!

However, I was surprised you didn't mention ISS Research's Whey Matrix. For a 5-lb. tub (through Netrition), it costs $26.95 which is cheaper than Simply Whey. You also get the about the same amount of protein (22g per serving).

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/14, 05:38 PM
Ah... this is where crunching the numbers makes things look interesting.

Comparing ISS Whey Matrix with EAS SimplyWhey, don't forget that you get 80 servings of that, while you only get 71 servings in ISS. So, one reason why a tub of ISS costs less than EAS is you get less of it! EAS really is actually cheaper! 44 cents a serving for EAS and 45 cents for ISS. On the other side of the argument, ISS gives you 1 more gram of protein than EAS per serving. So, it's what you make of it.

The three big numbers to look at are total servings per container, serving size and amount of protein.

It's just a different way to look at things. There are other things you'll consider, like taste, amount of fat, calories, carbs, etc. each product has. But, looking at the spreadsheet, there isn't a whole lot of variation between the amount of calories, fat, etc in these products.
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/14, 05:40 PM
Oh, and the prices I'm quoting/working with include shipping - so in my calculations, ISS Whey Matrix costs $32 ($27 + $5 shipping).
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/14, 06:34 PM
You're right...except Champion's product yields the same amount of servings as ISS. Shipping should be the same for both...so then this should make ISS cheaper than Champion, right?

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/15, 10:57 AM
Yes, you are right... hmmm... you know what I just noticed? I've been comparing all product's Vanilla flavor just to keep things as even as I could and I just noticed that Champion's amount of protein varies (greatly) depending on what flavor you choose!!

If you like Chocolate, yes you are right, ISS is the better buy because both have about the same amount of protein per serving (22 vs. 23).

The Vanilla flavor in Champion has 26 grams - which means although it costs more, you get more protein per serving. Still, ISS could be considered better even in this case because it is $3 cheaper (that's alot relative to the prices of these powders). So, here you have to decide if 3 extra grams of protein is worth the extra money.
norrobbins
norrobbins
United States
2002/06/19, 12:47 AM
Interesting discussion. Especially since I did a little research of my own and chose the Champion Nutrition Powder.

I was also comparing the ingredients: It has a lot less sugars and carbs than the other powders I was comparing it to. I did take note of the difference of protein contained in each serving and I went with the Vanilla flavor.. Only I ordered it from Netrition so I guessed I paid a little more than I had to. I'll have to check the difference of shipping costs for next time.

The one thing I dont like about the powder is (perhaps because there's almost no suger) the fact that it really 'foams up' in the blender. Even in water.

I have been using a MRD ,MLO Musc-L-Blast, as well and it doesnt foam up. I thought maybe it is because its loaded with sugars making it heavier??