Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Protein or Carbohydrates?

peterpepper
peterpepper
Canada
2001/05/18, 04:28 PM
I kind of don't understand something. What's the difference between Protein's and Carbohydrates" Do I need more protein or carbohydrates? Does one make you gain weight, and the other lose? Guess it's kind of a silly question. Jsut never got a straight answer from anybody before. Please put my mind at ease.
keith
keith
United States
2001/05/19, 09:15 AM
Hi peterpepper, just to let you know there are no silly questions when it comes to learning. The only answer I can give you is the way I look at it. Protein is the muscle builder and carbs are energy builder. As you probably know already is you need three things to build muscle. Protein, carbs and fat. I sure some of the people that have been in this sport longer than I have will give you a more detailed discription.If they don't I'll look it up for you.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/05/19, 08:34 PM
Keith's got the basics down and if you need more in depth knowledge you can go to a Physiology book for and answer. Protein comes from amino acids, some cholesterol and various goodies to make muscle(in this case). Carbohydrates come in various forms that you may have heard of, simple and complex. They,carbs, are the energy source of the cell. Sugar,glucose, supplies the cell with the energy it needs to function. Its how that energy if packaged. There are dozens fo sugar combinations from a few simple sugars. the way the body uses these is different for each. I suggest that you get a nutrition guidebook that gives you a breakdown of these building blocks,proteins,carbs, and fat, and some guidlines for meals, etc.
keith
keith
United States
2001/05/20, 01:23 AM
Hi peterpepper, I was just looking over some different things on the left side of FT. If you go to nutrition ft tools they have a good discription of what you want to know.
Uttiya
Uttiya
India
2001/05/25, 01:40 AM
Well the first thing you need to know is how muscles grow.When you workout, the continuous compression and stretching of the muscles cause the muscle fibers to grow microscopic tears on its surface. What we call recovery after a workout is basically repair of these fibers.The extra muscle that is added for the repair is the new muscles.
Proteins help repair the muscles, and carbohydrate gives the energy to do the work, and also energy for other body functions.
Both r very imp.For howmuch to have of each, check your nutrition plan, on theis site.
bye