Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 100, Messages: 16608

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Vitamins Supplements?

kschoenewald
kschoenewald
United States
2001/04/16, 08:32 PM
Hi,I have been working out for awile and I started taking vitamins. I was just wondering what kind of vitamins and supplements I should be taking. I use a women's multi-vitamin and a B-Complex, but I was wondering if I should be taking anything else...
Someone had mentioned I should be taking L-Carnitine, Chromium, etc. I do not want to take too much and I am a little skeptical because most supplements are not regulated by the FDA. What are the supplements used in aiding fat loss but will not make you lose muscle? Also how many milligrams should I be taking?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/04/16, 09:27 PM
I say you should take a look into your Nutrition Program on the left side menu of ft. It will tell you exactly what to consume in terms of both macro and micro-nutrients.

Just a thought..

.o0 Arnold 0o.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/17, 01:22 AM
Hi, I'm also a skeptic when it comes to supplements and the industry. But I also believe that to be skeptical without educating yourself is prejudice. With that standard in mind I try to learn what I can about a given supplement and the particular claims surrounding it before I poo poo the claims. Even if the claims don't pan out it may be important to keep an open mind about the substance itself. Sometimes it turns out that the real benifits are in an entirely different area than what was being hyped up in ads. Chromium is a perfect example of this reasoning. When it was first shoved into the public eye it was hailed for its muscle building and fat burning capacities. There was much hype and many chromium based products were marketed based on the claims made.(cont)
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/17, 05:03 AM
(cont)As it turns out, the anabolic and thereagenic effects of this trace mineral were greatly exagerrated. However it is still a very important and benifical mineral. Some of the benifits include, help with glucose intolerence, type2 (adult onset) diabetes,lowers LDL cholestrol and helpes with binge eating disorders. It serves other functions as well.It's an essential trace mineral, essential meaning that the body can;t make it's own and must rely on outside sources. It's a fact that, at least in the U.S. many people have a chromium defiency. Good natural sources include ham, turkey, grape juice and broccoli. A suggested daily value is 120 micrograms. But speakingof it strictly from the standpoint of a sports and body comosition enhancer, I think it has a lot to be desired. As for carnitine. It is an amino made in the liver by 2 other aminos that act as building blocks. It is not one of the 20 aminos that aid in the synthesis of protein, But rather it acts like a vitimin by transporting fat into the cells to be used as fuel by the mitochondria, which can be thought of as a tiny generator that produces muscle energy. Crnitine has been shown to lower cholestrol and triglycerides, aid endurance, and build muscle among other things. A good supply of vitamin C is needed to asist carnitine in its fat transporting duties.
kschoenewald
kschoenewald
United States
2001/04/17, 12:26 PM
So what should I be taking as a women besides a multi-vitamin and a B-Complex? Thank you
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/17, 08:02 PM
I'm checking into it. A few questions. Are you interested only in sports preformance, or what you should take as a women for overall health and vigor? How old are you? Any medical conditions? As far as sports I think the same basic supplement programs apply regardless of sex. Although as a women you may have different needs at different ages. The suggestions of FT, as Arnold pointed out, are good for the sports end of things.
kschoenewald
kschoenewald
United States
2001/04/17, 09:04 PM
I am 22 years old, with no medical conditions. I work out every morning riding 10 miles on the bike and alternate jogging. I follow the FT training schedule for weight loss and definition training. I am intrested in maintaining size but toning and defining the muscles and getting rid of any excess fat. I take a multi-vitamin for women every day and a B-Complex vitamin. I am not interested in powders etc, but any extra vitamin etc. supplements I am looking into. I was told I should be taking chromium pic, L-carnitine, gingo biloba...I am a little confused though and skeptical. If I do take anything I want it to be in the pure form and not something like "fat burners" You know what I mean? Thank you for the help.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/19, 02:40 AM
Looks like you're on the right track. You may already be getting the chromium. Check the contents on your multi. Mine has the recommended 120micrograms already in it. The carnitine or L-carnitine may be a good addition, as I mentioned earlier it transports fat into the cells to be burned as fuel. What do you have against "powders"? AS far as protein powder goes, if you get enough protein in your diet you really don't need these. It's more a matter of convienence. But creatine can help you build muscle, and muscle is the best "fat burner" around. Adding branched chain amino supplements will help saturate your system with a ready source of fuel, which will prevent your body from breaking muscle into aminos for that purpose.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/19, 02:51 AM
As far as the thermagenic products like Xenidrene, Hydroxycuts, and other ECA based fat burners goes, you don't want to take them, and I'm having a hard time finding anything else that I can be confident about. There are other ephedra, and caffine free pills out there, but I don't know if they really work or not. Btw, on the chromium, if your multi doesn't have it I wouldn't go out of my way to get a chromium supplement. If you really want it just make sure the next multi you buy has it. It is mostly helpful to people with sugar problems.
kschoenewald
kschoenewald
United States
2001/04/19, 09:54 AM
Thank you skeld2001, you have been very helpful...
robinander
robinander
United States
2010/03/02, 08:52 PM
What is a good multi-vitamin? I am a 32 year old female. I am doing the FT weight loss program.. I tried a womens multi and it made me sick to my stomach!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/03/02, 10:29 PM
If you are eating a healthy diet and getting all your nutrients from food, a vitamin is not necessary. If you feel you lack in a vitamin or mineral consult a doctor and have blood tests.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
robinander
robinander
United States
2010/03/03, 07:58 PM
I was told to take a multi-vitamin. I was just wondering if there was one that wouldn't bother by stomach.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/03/03, 11:11 PM
Centrum is a good quality vitamin that covers the complete spectrum.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
robinander
robinander
United States
2010/03/04, 08:28 PM
Thank You!!!!