Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

muscle strains

skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/14, 07:00 PM
Has anyone else noted the propensity to muscle strains and cramping with creatine usage. Some literature states this as a side effect?
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/15, 05:08 AM
Yes! When I start a cycle of creatine I get cramps in my thighs calves and feet. It almost always happens at night but the intensity seems to subside after a couple of weeks. Another side effect that bothers me in particular is gastrointestinal distress. I suffer from what my doctor terms irritable bowl syndrome, so creatine isn't the only thing that upsets my gut. I deal with this effectivly however by taking 150mg of ranitidine before the creatine.
As far as the cramps in my legs go I just hang in there and hope it stops in time to let me sleep. I can't say that I've experienced strains as a side effect though.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/15, 08:29 PM
Skeld, I was reading that GI distress usually comes with dosages higher than 5mg/day. I am going to limit my intake to 5mg/day except for workouts with 5mg creatine with glutamine. The muscle strains come from tendons/ligamentys not being strong enough to support the increased muscle strength(?) I also take Zantac 150(prescribed strength) but I am going to try to decrease my creatine so I can decrease my ranitidine(so hard on the liver). Are you taking any other supplements that might be messing with your electrolytes and causing cramps.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/16, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I'd read about the lagging ligiture/injury link some time ago. That is the reason I never suffered strains. To be forewarned is to be forearmed, blah, blah. As far as the
GI problem goes, in my case it seems like if I just look at spicy food I'm in distress, very sensitive. I'm guessing you mean 5g not mg? When I use CM thats the amount I take. I also skip the loading phase. I read that anything more than 5g is a waste. I also read that research suggests that the loading phase is not needed. As far as other supplements being a contributing factor in my cramping, in general all I take is a multivite/min. and protein (which sometimes gives me it's own sticky problems). I also take extra C,up to 1060mg with whats in my multi, and glucosimine and chrondroitin sulfates. But the cramping occurs regardless of the glucos chron.

skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/16, 02:15 AM
By the way i'd heard about ranitidine being hard on the liver but I never follwed up on finding out the particulars on that subject. Care to clue me in on that. I'd appreciate any facts you may have.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/18, 04:59 PM
It appears that the metabolism of zantac occurs in the liver excreted in the kidneys. The problem stems from that in some patients their liver enzyme levels elevate with this metabolism. Not a problem in itself as it is reversible with discontinuation. Not noted usually except in populations prone to liver problems or after long-term usage combined with other stressors on the liver.
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/19, 03:35 AM
That's interesting! It just so happens that I had blood drawn a couple of weeks ago, and in my liver panel my doctor found that one of the enzyme levels is eleavated. I've been taking this stuff for about 2 1/2 years now. I neglected to tell him that. He's sending me to a specalist to find out why. hehehe. I think I'll go jusst to see what they come up with. Shhhh! What the heck I have insurance! Btw skylar, I read a little something the other day that said in a study on side effects of creatine. They used young atheletes and monitored side effects. The conclusion was that there were no short term sides associated with use.
I notice that bicep on this post also reports no sides. Do you think maybe the sides are related to age? I know they exist from first hand experience.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/04/21, 09:02 PM
Right on to that because we don't know about side effects due to the lack of study and the recent usage of creatine. Long and short term effects are still in the research stage. In other words thats "A hellifIknow".
bicep
bicep
Canada
2001/04/15, 03:45 PM
I have used only once a year ago and nothing...no cramps
Uttiya
Uttiya
India
2001/05/07, 01:23 AM
ary you sure buddy,
I was planning to use the stuff in a week....
bigjee
bigjee
Canada
2001/05/16, 08:44 PM
Dear Skylar,

Muscle strain can happen while on creatine, but try to drink a lot of water and eat lest sodium and more potassium...Creatine can be harmfull for your kidney if you don't drink enough water, but if you do, there should be no problem...as for the potassium eat more bananas and your muscles should stop cramping...