Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

New question on starting out.

mavericc77
mavericc77
United States
2002/07/08, 09:28 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for the great website. There is so much great information here. I am currently 24 years old and at one time I was in pretty good shape playing tennis and everything. However, now I have a desk job and I'm just starting back getting into shape. All I want to do is lose a little weight and workout my abs. I chose the Personal Exercise Program Goal - Home Training with the 12 week abs program. I am a little confused if I'm doing too much too quick. Guess what I started today so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I am doing the Exercise program that is set for me from here, plus the cardio stuff running/jogging for 20 - 30 minutes, plus I am doing about five different exercises for the abs with the giant ball. Could you tell me if this is correct or if I should cut down on half of the reps or just do two sets from the Personal Exercise Program Goal - Home Training. Thanks for any comments. I will greatly apprecite any feedback.
Thanks
Dan
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/08, 09:53 PM
How many days a week did you request on your program? I don't think that you are doing too much. I started of with the definition program along with the abs and I was already doing 1 hr 3x week when I started the program. You will be able to tell once you start. If it seems like too much then cut back a little, but you should be fine.

--------------
Lisa
mavericc77
mavericc77
United States
2002/07/08, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
I chose to start off with four days and the workout seems to take about two hours. I do plan on changing the running/jogging to the morning time that should help out. I was basically wondering if I should be able to complete all the reps and sets off the start, because there were a couple of exercises I had trouble with? I would hate to get behind if I am suppose to be doing all the reps and sets.

Thanks
Dan
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/09, 08:30 AM
It's natural to be unable to complete ALL of the reps and sets your first few times, by the end of the four weeks you'll probably be able to do them all or close to it.
kevw9
kevw9
United States
2002/07/09, 09:59 AM
How should you dtermine the amount of weight you should use in each exercise? I am just starting out and had a hard time getting to the fourth rep on some let alone getting through the fourth. I have never lifted before and am not sure how to go about choosing the correct weights.
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/09, 10:03 AM
You should choose a weight that allows you to do all of the reps, but the last two reps should be pretty difficult. If you're having trouble getting through your last set, but were able to do all of the sets and reps before it, then I would say that is okay, just keep working at it. If however, you can't finish your first set of reps (which is a warm up) then you should seriously consider lowering the weight. You know a weight is too heavy if your form is really off; get the proper form down first and foremost.