Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Another Newbie...

junglrulz
junglrulz
United States
2002/07/05, 08:15 PM
Hello All. A friend told me about this site, my compliments, this is excellent. I've been working out for 1 year now, I'm actually rehabing some heavy duty injuries. Multiple tib/fib fractures in my r leg and a full slap repair in my left shoulder. I can't bench press at all yet. I'm sticking to machines at the YMCA for now with my MDs approval. My aims are muscle mass gain and body fat loss. My question is this. I have massive vascular damage in my leg and trouble with swelling during the course of the day. I have tried stationary bikes at high RPM and low load for this past year with little progress. I am considering going in the other direction with aggressive weight training on it. The Doc is of the mind that whatever works... Anyone out there have ANY experience with this type of injury? The only physical limitations I presently have are the shoulder repair. Many Thanks.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/07/05, 09:55 PM
I have no exp w/ an injury like that but I would say to make sure you put in down in your exercise/injury profile so that the workout ft makes for you works around that.. What friend recommended you... and if light stationary biking causes your leg to swell then I probably wouldn't go into an aggressive weight training program.. but i'm no doctor.. I would think yours would tell you a bit more about helping your injury then "whatever works"... ah well....
junglrulz
junglrulz
United States
2002/07/05, 10:44 PM

============
Quoting from fireloard:

I have no exp w/ an injury like that but I would say to make sure you put in down in your exercise/injury profile so that the workout ft makes for you works around that.. What friend recommended you... and if light stationary biking causes your leg to swell then I probably wouldn't go into an aggressive weight training program.. but i'm no doctor.. I would think yours would tell you a bit more about helping your injury then "whatever works"... ah well....
=============
fireloard,
The bike doesn't cause the swelling, everyday activity does due to the internal scar tissue and lost vascularity. The Doc is actually pretty good and works with me a great deal on it. Each of these injuries is unique and you just have to find what works for you. I don't have any restrictions on it and can leg press 400 at the top of the pyramid. I didn't know they had an injury profile here, I'll have to poke around more. Thanks
junglrulz
junglrulz
United States
2002/07/08, 05:10 PM
Yo fireloard! Caution to the wind it is. I started the Mass Gain Program today. It was the first time in over 4 years that I've done squats...morphine, sumbudy gimme morphine! lol Oh man do I hurt but good. I still feel its the correct route, time will tell. Tomorrow I hammer my tender shoulder, with some caution I won't end up back in rehab. I'll keep you posted.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/07/08, 06:09 PM
Sounds good.. good luck and be careful