Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Questions

FutureFlex
FutureFlex
United States
2002/07/04, 06:41 AM
First off, hello all. Please bear with me if I'm asking obvious or redundant questions, as I'm a bit impatient.

Obviously, I'm new here so my first question is why is it that I must use the fitness system here? I just wanted to talk to the community about weight lifting, as I have my own system at home. Yew, I said at home and yes, it's a machine and it actually works.

Second, I've reached a plateau on my Bowflex and am having trouble smashing through it. Although, recently, I had taken a week off due to sickness, and now it seems my strenght has actuall increased enough to make a small but effective increase.

Why won't my calves (sp?) grow? Is it because I only work it out in squats? I used to do toe-raises, but that wasn't showing any result either. I just kept increasing weight, but my calves still look the same.

I can't use weight-gainer shakes because I'm allergic. How else can I gain weight?

Thank you.

----------------------------
"Perfection is a road, not a destination."
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/04, 08:13 AM
Hi FutureFlex! You certainly don't have to use the workout programs on here, some of us do and some of us don't, so feel free to come in and talk about whatever.
You say your system is working well for you, and then you go on to say that you have reached a plateau, so I'm thinking maybe you need to change up your current program. Using machines and free weights are beneficial in different ways. Your muscles have probably gotten used to doing the same thing, you need to shock them somehow, maybe by using free weights, maybe by doing supersets (if that's not what you're doing now), etc, etc.
The only way to gain weight is to eat eat eat. What are you allergic to in the weight gainer shakes? What does your current diet look like?
FutureFlex
FutureFlex
United States
2002/07/04, 08:57 AM
You know, I was just looking at your profile. Yes, I said I reached a platau, but I also said that I recently broke through that platau, even if it wasn't that big of a difference. What I'm looking for is a real break, about 10 lbs at least.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm allergic to in the weight gainer. How can I find out? And as for eating, I eat way more than my girlfriend and she's about 170lbs! My motabolism is far too high.

--------------
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/04, 12:43 PM
Well, I will defer that first question to somebody who knows more than me, I'm sure they'd be around if it wasn't for the holiday.
And, a lot of the posts that I read from guys who can't seem to gain weight all stems from them not eating enough. Have you ever really sat down and figured out how many calories you put into your body in any given day? Whatever it is, increase it, eat more meals a day. Did you look at the nutrition section in here? If you put in the necessary info, it can act as a guide for you, and if you're still not gaining, increase your calories some more. Also check out abcbodybuilding.com, there should be an example mass gaining diet on there.
FutureFlex
FutureFlex
United States
2002/07/04, 11:53 PM
Thanks!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/05, 01:27 PM
The key to gaining some weight is eating frequently and eating more calories that you burn in a day. I think Lumina touched on something here...have you actually calculated what you consume in a day? I haven't yet known anyone not to gain weight by consuming 4,000+ calories per day.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
FutureFlex
FutureFlex
United States
2002/07/06, 06:42 AM
Considering the 2,000 calories that I consumed from the weight gainer I used to take, plus 2-3 meals a day, usually pasta, I'd say I was doing pretty well.

--------------
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/07/06, 10:26 AM
You'd be better off eating more frequently and consuming more protein. You would be surprised what proper nutrition can do for your overall appearance.