Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Just to Say Hello....

KeiKei
KeiKei
United States
2002/04/04, 01:39 PM
I am a new member and am very glad my friend told me about this site. Looks great! I have a question. Everyone says to do my strength workout 'slow and controlled', but it seems like a lot of people do their workouts with a fast motion, not really watching what they are doing-most use a very light weight, some use very heavy weights (so heavy, they let out a grunt on the lift). I asked someone about this and they said it was because they are trying to build their 'fast' muscles, as with the case of football players. I have never heard of that-fast muscles, slow muscles. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/04/04, 02:17 PM
Welcome to ft KeiKei - someone else will probably tell you but the search feature works pretty good on here, welcome by the way. I'm lazy so just cut and pasted ft's answer to your question. :)

Type of Muscle Fiber

One of the most influential factors is muscle fiber type. We have two basic types of muscle fibers, often referred to as "slow twitch" and "fast twitch." Slow twitch muscle fibers are best used for cardiovascular (aerobic) activities. They produce small levels of force for long periods of time and thus are better suited for endurance activities. Fast twitch fibers are best used for anaerobic activities. They produce high levels of force for short periods of time and are best suited for power activities such as weightlifting.
Most men and women have an equal combination of both slow twitch and fast twitch fibers. However, some people inherit a high percentage of slow twitch fibers that enhance their performance in endurance activities, such as long distance runners. Most world class marathon runners have a very high amount of slow twitch fibers. World class sprinters or football players, for example, have relatively more fast twitch muscle fibers. Although both fiber types respond positively to strength training exercises, the fast twitch types experience greater increases in muscle size and strength, and thus may obtain greater and/or faster results from a strength training program.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/04, 03:19 PM
Welcome to ft! Have you signed up for one of the programs?

--------------
**_Robert_**
KeiKei
KeiKei
United States
2002/04/04, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info Mikencharleston and the welcome. Robert, I have signed up for the programs, thanks also for the welcome. I've printed my workout and can't wait to start Monday. Thanks guys!!