Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

New here , trying to get some info

JWills
JWills
United States
2002/03/01, 01:55 PM
I really don't know where to post this but I'm 21, 6'2" and about 220 lbs. I started running on the HIIT program and working out 3 days a week about 2 months ago and have already lost about 20 lbs. I changed my diet to incorporate more tuna and chicken, no pop, lots of water and have been watching my calorie and fat intake. I have read a couple of places state though it is hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time so what should I be doing? I'd like to be able to go to the beech this summer without being embarassed to take my shirt off. Also note that this is the first time in my life that I have worked out. I'd like to lose alot of the fat and have some muscle tone to me.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/01, 02:27 PM
Welcome to ft! Yes, unfortunately, unless you have very good genetics, it's pretty hard to lose weight and gain muscle simultaneously.

If you want to gain mass, you'll need to increase your caloric and protein intake, and cut back slightly on your cardio activity. But, it will all depend on your goal. Do you want to lose additional weight, then build muscle after...or build muscle now at the expense of gaining a few pounds, then tone and lose weight?

--------------
**_Robert_**
JWills
JWills
United States
2002/03/01, 04:00 PM
It would prob be better for me to go ahead and pack some muscle on now. I have a college weight lifting class starting in about 2 weeks where im going to be required to lift and gain for a grade. Also I have been running on a treadmill and I hate it. So when early summer gets here I can start running to lose some pounds. Because I read somewhere that if you have more muscle you can burn calories more efficiently. So I need to eat alot of low carb calories and proteins, right? Do I need to be on any suppliments or anything? Like I said I really don't know a whole lot about this stuff other than what I read on here. My friends that lift started out underweight so they can just hit the protein shakes and stuff hard because they all want to gain weight. As for me, I really dont know what I need to be doing to lean up and get muscle.