Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27036

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

Need help passing a PT Test

RynoFit
RynoFit
United States
2016/04/06, 01:10 PM (Edited: RynoFit - 2016/04/06, 01:12 PM)
So, I have been working very hard over the last few months.  After recovering from 2 shoulder surgeries and a torn Achilles, I am finally back to normal.  I have lost about 25 pounds since November 15 (I could still stand to lose 15 or so) and have been working out like crazy.  I am preparing to pass a PT Test.  I have to pass the scoring scale of the young guys and I am 40 so it’s a bit more challenging.  The test goes like this: as many sit-ups in 60 sec --  a 5 min break -- 300m sprint -- 5 min break -- as many pushups (the real kind all the way down and elbows locked at top) till failure (no time) -- 1.5 mile run.  To give you some idea, I need 12 total points with at least 1 point in each category.  For sit-ups at 48-49 in one min is 5 points, 300m sprint you get 1 point at 52 seconds and another point about every second or so, pushups at 50 pushups you get 5 points and for the 1.5 mile run you get your first point at 12:24.  My goals are to do as many pushups and sit-ups as possible so that I don’t have to run so fast. 

I have been doing a lot of strength training and cardio.  I am pressing 85lbs dumbbells and doing 65lbs shoulder dumbbell presses.  I usually do about 30 min of intense cardio before my workouts.  I have increased my pushups from about 15 to 38-39 but cannot seem to get over that hump before my arms gas out no matter how strong my arms and chest get.  Sit-ups I can to more than 50 but it’s in about a 1:10 min so i need to do more at a faster pace.  I have increased my sprint from not even being able to finish it to 52.5 seconds so I need to cut that by 2-5 seconds and my run is about 12:30.  I seem to be at a wall for each exercise and cannot get past to the next level.  I would like to pass this test by the end of April/early May.  Any advice?  Nothing is to extreme or intense for me, just need some new ideas.