Group: Lose Weight or Lose Fat

Created: 2012/01/23, Members: 254, Messages: 127

Think about which one is truly your goal.

Join group

New and needing help!

Exsert
Exsert
United Kingdom
2012/11/20, 10:22 PM
Hello!
Firstly i want to thank you for even reading this because that in itself is help.
Okay, i'm going to be completely honest because lieing wont exactly help things!
I'm sorry that this is long and sounds like i'm making a lot of excuses but i honestly have some issues that i need to contend with, sorry if i word this badly as i am dyslexic!

Right! As i said i'm dyslexic which hinders me in many ways, i can't think very well on my toes and i kind of rely on the help of my fellow friends, this is annoying when it comes to working out as i find it near to impossible to discuss! it hinders me in other ways too, i am very easily confused and my mind manages to forget a lot of instructions!
Anyhow, moving on from my dyslexia between the ages 14-16 i was pretty well maintained as i reached my steady height of 6 ft 4 back then i use to play rugby and go to the gym 2-3 times a week, i was weighing in at 14 stone 5 pounds well on my way to a six pack, but one lovely day i was playing rugby on our grounds, against a obviously quite new team, i can't remember exact details about that day but what happened was i had the ball and was runnig to score a try, but i got "Dump" tackled but they did it very badly, what happened was they got me by the legs and with quite a lot of force basicly whipped me onto the floor, this was very bad as it caused me to land on my shoulder which caused me to have to go to the hospital, it was damage to my shoulder and they were worried i could have a bit of damage to my spine, meaning for 2 years now ive had to stay dorment he has only just given me the thumbs up to build up my training slowly, but as you can guess, being forced to sit and do nothing for 2 years has caused quite a bit of an affect on my body shape, as my mum was looking after me it was always "Oh maybe some cake would help you feel better." etc etc etc..
So that brings me to now..

So i shall list facts about my lifestyle

I am male, i am still 6ft 4! i now weigh 15.5 stone and i can say i did not retain much muscle from rugby (Except my outer thigh muscles are oddly strong..)
Right now i am 18, i am a first year student at university, studying Game Software Development (Oh no more sitting!)
I think it would be good to post my weekly meals: (Bare in mind my closest shop is aldi and they don't really have a wide range)

When i wake up i have a coffee ranging from 1 - 2 tsp of sugar

during lunch i have the option of ordering food such as a baguette with chips (covered in cheese but thats just how they make it)
or i can go to the shop and have a choice of rather disgusting sandwiches and a drink

and when i come home, if im honest i don't have much money left over at this time so it ranges from a pizza or 2 cheese toasties or a couple tins of soup or pasta and sauce

i drink around 1-2L of water a day (and i'll have a 1 L bottle of water by me at night i generally finish)
but sometimes i can have up to 3 bottles of diet coke a day

The reason for the terrible diet at the moment is just due to lack of money, and when i change for healthier diets it really affects my lifestyle and concentration, i have issues with my dyslexia and concentrating already when i have a healthier diet it seems like i cannot focus on anything and i start falling behind with grades, so i think for the greater good i change back to my unhealthy foods and i do better at uni.

Another issue is i don't have the time to make the food as i live with 5 room mates (which i really don't like) and i get around 20-25 minutes to cook my food or the oven has been taken.

i walk to uni and back every day which is around a 15 minute walk twice so 30 minutes of walking a day, but ever since my accident this walk will actually tire me out.

I would like to add finally that i feel very sad when i think about the weight i have gained, and would appreciate any help i can get!

I would be really greatfull if someone could help me out with all this, i know it's a lot to ask but i'm on a very slippery sloap to becomming  extremely overweight.. And if anyone would be willing to keep in touch with me on skype or something it would be so much of a help.

Anyway sorry it's a long post but it's just a big concern of mine and now allowed to excersize a little i would love to loose my pounds!

Thank you so much!
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/11/21, 12:08 AM
First off, good job putting yourself out there and being honest.  You can't sugar coat things or you get bad or useless advice.

Gaining weight is a slippery slope, but it doesn't have to be.  

You know already what your hurdles are going to be.  You're weak because of being forced into inactivity, and the diet needs improving.

You've already discovered that your 30 minutes of walking tires you out, but to be blunt, everything will tire you out.  The great news is, it won't last long.  

You need to push yourself past the point of being comfortable.  Gains are made when it gets hard, then you'll make all kinds of gains!  Take your 30 minute walk - Add 15 minutes to it.  Add 30 minutes to it.  You know it will make you more tired, but you also know in your head that you can do it.  It's not a walk across the country, it's "only" another 15 or 30 minutes.  Make yourself do it, because you know you can.  

Get yourself back into the gym, and over 3 days, find out what your limits are - Google how to find your max in each of these things.  You want to find out what the most you can push/pull/lift for a single rep.  Then you need to see how much you can do for 10 reps.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps - put yourself on a bench, and find out what the maximum is that you can bench press.  Do the same with flys and finally a military press.  Then find out how your max on triceps extension.  

Day 2: Back and Biceps - Find your max on lat pulldowns.  Then a reverse fly.  Then on a row and finally on a biceps curl.

Day 3: Legs and abs.  Max on leg extension.  Max squat.  Max calf raise.  Max Hamstring curl and then finally crank out as many crunches as you can.

Once you've found your max in each, you can create your own workouts.

Remember, light weight is not a bad thing.  Your activity has been low for a while.  Your goal should absolutely be endurance rather than strength.  Do a ton of loosening up and stretching.  Lengthen those muscles by stretching before and after your workouts.  

Once your endurance makes you feel like a rockstar, you can feel free to work on strength - The groundwork will already be done.

Look around this site for good workouts, and how-tos - it is FULL of great information, and in the meantime, feel free to keep in touch.

Last thing - You know yourself best, but do your best to adjust your diet in a healthier direction, but do it in small adjustments.  Eating healthy isn't cheap, but it will improve how fast you see results both on the scale and in the gym.  

Feel free to keep writing to this thread as well.  There's lots of brilliant folks around who will hopefully watch your progress :)
g
Exsert
Exsert
United Kingdom
2012/11/21, 04:46 AM
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply :)
I really appreciate what you said it was very motivational, I think instead of just walking home i will take your advice and maybe even convince myself into christmas shopping or walk through town as thats around 15-30 minutes extra for a walk :)
About the gym, i am going to start at home first because i want to get a bit of stamina before hand. This will only be for a week or two just so i can mainly get a bit more muscle in my should as i'm very worried about pushing my shoulder too hard.
But i will deffinately try out the max rep idea :)
I really am going to try, and i'm happy i finally can to be honest, it's just i never expected it to become this hard, because i use to always be trim.
Once again thank you for even replying i am greatful :)
i am going to try and keep writing to this thread to keep track of myself!

all advice will be thoroughly appreciated even just motivational that people will give there time to read and reply !
Thank you once more :)
Exsert
Exsert
United Kingdom
2012/11/21, 04:59 AM
Also, i remember someone said to me i could use a slendertone max belt thing
Not so it would help me loose weight but that it would help me build up endurance in my abs
This is appealing as it will cause a lot less discomfort for me if my abdominals were stronger and  i think it helps increase muscle on the lower back
I would like to know if this has some actual facts behind it or if its just hocum and it wont help edurance? :)
Thank you
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/11/21, 09:51 AM
About the belt - while it is well known that people like Bruce Lee used electric probes to cause muscle contractions, I have a feeling if that was enough to help build muscle, we'd all have them by now.

That said, I know zero about them. I'd probably suggest saving your money. If you're able to physically do the ab work, do it. Crunches etc DEFINITELY work, they're free and you can do them anywhere!! :)
Exsert
Exsert
United Kingdom
2012/11/21, 09:57 AM
Aha, that is true! sadly at the moment i can only do afew!
would it be possible if you could help me work out a small at home routine so i have something to stick to? :)

And okay, i just want to build my stamina because if i didn't get exhausted from walking for half an hour (timed myself walking to uni it takes 23 minutes walking quite a fast pace) i know i'd walk more if that makes sense? so i want to do excercises at home just to make me better at walking to start!
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/11/21, 10:27 AM
Sure thing.  Do you have any sort of equipment at home? It's not a big deal if you don't.

Don't worry about not doing many reps or much weight - You're in a great position because you're going to see HUGE gains as you quickly get stronger.  You have youth and hormones on your side!
Exsert
Exsert
United Kingdom
2012/11/21, 10:34 AM
aha yay youth and hormones!
No, i had dumbells and barbells at parents but not in my apartment here =[
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/11/21, 10:50 PM
No worries.

For home workouts, I'd try to do a full body workout and when you feel better, then I'd suggest splitting off into the parts I listed above.  Just remember that rest is VERY important.  When you start working on muscle development, your muscles need time to regenerate because it's all about tearing them and letting them regrow.  While I'm preaching - good growth will come with good food.  Build yourself on a foundation of good food and you win.  Build it on processed junk....... Nuff said.

Chest - Pushups.  Obvious.  Do them correctly. Straight back, nose to the floor or close to it.  No arching the back, keep your neck straight.  Be aware of your back.  You mentioned a possible spine injury.  Listen to your body!  Do as many as you can, rest for a couple of minutes and do it again.  Then again.  If you're not able to do at least 10, begin on your knees, and when it becomes easy, get up on your toes.

Triceps - Dips. Either use a chair or a couch and lower yourself down with your legs extended and press back up.  The farther you extend your legs, the more weight you will be lifting.  Start with your legs bent, and gradually extend them out farther.  Work for 3 sets of 10 dips.  This will work your shoulders as well.  Be careful if you did sustain a shoulder injury.  Remember, light weights and no injury is always better than heavy weights and getting injured.

Biceps - Curls.  Anything will do that challenges you.  Again, 3 sets of 10 reps each

Hamstrings, Quads, Butt = Squats.  WATCH YOUR BACK, and do them slowly and carefully.  Hold whatever challenges your legs preferably on your shoulders.  3 sets of 10. 

Calves = Raises - Position yourself on a set of stairs facing up, with your heels hanging off the step, and lower yourself down and raise yourself up on to your toes.  If it's too easy, add some weight somehow.

Abs = Crunches.  As many as you can - pause for a couple of minutes, and try and do the same number.  Pause a couple more minutes then try to do the same again. 

Do all of these things slowly.  It's NOT a race to get it done as fast as you can.  You get no benefit by smashing out your workout in 10 minutes. 

All of these exercises you find find on Freetrainers and it will walk you through with fantastic pictures on how to perform them correctly to reduce risk of injury. 

Again, you can do it fast, or you can do it right.  If you came here and poured out all that, I think you want to do it right. 

Keep posting :)

There you have the major muscle groups covered.