Group: motivating ladies

Created: 2012/04/06, Members: 397, Messages: 159

a group for ladies any age who want to motivate each other and give advice or just talk and keep track of one another

Join group

Desperate For Motivation

Amanda12Davis
Amanda12Davis
United States
2012/07/11, 08:46 PM
Hello =) I've recently decided to get back into shape, I'm a former powerlifter desperately seeking to get back in shape. I've had two children, both c-sec's and it seems to have pushed me down hill a bit searching for the motivation to thrive on an lose the weight. I'm only 23 years old and VERY uncomfortable with my weight an the way I look. I'm doing at home work-outs, looking to tone and at the same time shread the weight. I just need motivation!! some key tips anyone has are greatly appreciated an will be used. All the help and support this way is going to be VERY helpful!!
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/07/12, 08:20 PM
Hi Amanda,

I think it's safe to say you are in good company. Browse the forums and you'll see many posts similar to yours.  

I'm not an expert but I'am very curious about what motivates people.  It blows my mind to see what some people do and I often wonder what on earth could be driving them.  Perhaps this is my first suggestion? Read up on the bios of some of your favourite successful people.  That level of drive and success can help teach you about motivation (not to mention inspire the hell out of you!).

I think we are all motivated when we picture success but... somehow we lose it when we hit the "grind".  By "grind" I mean the hard work.

1.  Can you accept "hard"? 
We all want to be the best we can be but so few of us have the motivation to do what it takes.  It's hard!  We live in a world where the goal is to make things easier for ourselves.  Can you accept "hard"?  Can you fully understand and accept that this will be hard?  If not, then don't waste any more time with this.

2. Identify what will work for you  
People are motivated by different things. Take some time to search for what motivates you and then USE IT to fuel you during action.   Anger? Pride? Recognition? Competition? Bring that to the forefront when your working out or you're tempted quit.

3. Surround yourself with what you want to become
You have to make some big changes in your environment.  Ensure that that which motivates you is kept in your face!  You need to be reminded of why you're doing all these "hard" things or it'll be easy to forget and lapse to old ways.

3. Eliminate that which works against your goal
Yes, "eliminate" is a harsh word.  Take some time to seriously consider this.  What's sabotaging you? Get it out of your life - no exceptions!  Surround yourself with what which you want to become. 

3. Find someone that will push you to push yourself
By this I mean, find someone that inspires you.   When you're inspired you will be more likely to push yourself harder even when you're on your own.  These types of  friends/work out partners are hard to come by.  While you're looking, I'd invest in a personal trainer (a good one!)  that can push you and teach you how to push yourself.

4. Know that it gets easier
Yes, it'll be hard but it's because you are breaking habits and trying to build new ones.  This is HARD!  Once you've sucessfully broken these habits and formed new ones that, with time, become well entrenched- things WILL be easier!  The new habits will no longer feel forced.  It'll be natural for you.  It will even become fun!

It IS possible for you to acheive what you want.  But the key is understand and overcoming the "hard" part.  Know, undestand, and ACCEPT that part and get over it!  Get on with it!   Keep your goal in front of you.  If it's a worthy goal it will continue to motivate you through the hardships.

Youtube can be helpful!  I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
and this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-43I4WAB0
jeniferwilson
jeniferwilson
United States
2012/07/15, 12:31 AM
Hi there! Working out is mainly mental. Tell yourself you can do it, and you will! Reward yourself. And by that I mean reward yourself with a day off of working out, or maybe a new outfit a size or two too small so you can be motivated to fit into it! Don't reward yourself with food - you're not a dog. Oh & drink lots of water. Especially before you eat, you'll eat less! Cardio is great if you want to shred the pounds, just don't forget to balance it with toning workouts as well.

-Remember, smaller portions, more meals, more water. You'll lose all the weight you want in no time!
-Results are motivation.

Happy dieting!
jake782
jake782
United States
2012/07/15, 06:45 AM
Hi Amanda12D.  I understand the lack of motivation and it does seem to be the key.  I'm hoping this site can help provide some of that motivation.  I just started my workout program today (on a Sunday); I'm hoping I can keep it up for one week and then move ahead.  This week I just need to walk a mile a each morning, and lift some weights.   That seems such a wimpy goal compared to my friends the run 5 and 10ks, a brother that bikes 4000 vertical feet, and a cousin that runs 100 miles (she actually ran for something close to 26 hours straight).  Anyways, I need to start small. I need to work out every morning.  It means I need to get up at 5:00 a.m. in order to get the workout in AND make it to work by 8am.  Good luck to us both!