Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Help please

James_M
James_M
United States
2012/04/30, 11:09 AM
I have started my workout at the gym but I could use some help on finding out how much wieght to start out using for these reps ..In the past when I worked out which wasn't often I would do 3 sets of 8-12 each set...now I am seeing sets that want you to do 20 reps...then 16 and then 14....after I did my first exercise and only 2 sets I could barely do 5 with the next exercise before having to drop the weight down to almost nothing...It was very depressing are there any tips or can you do more sets with less reps and still achieve the same goals...any help here would be appreciated..
brody1124
brody1124
United States
2012/05/04, 07:27 AM
What i do is find a weight that i can do the first 20 reps with. Keep in mind that usually the last 4-6 reps are pretty hard. i then up the second rep by 5-10 lbs. The last set I up it another 5-10 lbs. It is usually only 5 lbs on the last rep.

Keep in mind that it will take time to find what level of weights you are at. And even though you drop the weights dow you are still working you muscles. In the beginning i would have to drop the weights just to make it through the 3rd set for a couple of weeks. I then got to the point where i can go up.

Another word of advice. I found when i started lifting weights again my muscles would hurt afterwards. I started using a Whey protein mix. It takes the sorness away in 20 minutes.