Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

What to EAT !!!!

Flash79
Flash79
Canada
2012/04/27, 06:57 PM
Ok, might be a stupid question but I want to lose 100 LBS.. What can I eat and won't get bored after a while... Anyone that can help, Please share
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/04/28, 09:13 AM (Edited: kolhy - 2012/04/28, 09:16 AM)
Hi Flash :)

Variety is key to prevent boredom!  But I have to emphasize the quality of that variety!

Eat clean and healthy and don't try to starve yourself!  Walking away from the table just a little bit hungry is OK.  Give your body time to digest and process the meal - it takes some time for your brain to realize it's satisfied!!  We're so accumstomed to forcing ourselves into satiation quickly, but in doing so, we don't allow enough time for the "I'm not hungry anymore" signals to reach our brain.  If after 20-30 min you're still hungry- then don't deny yourself!  Just pick something healthy :P

Also, minimize distractions while eating and eat slow!  Enjoy your food :)  If you just gobble it up it'll take longer for those "satiation" signals to be processed and you'll end up overeating. Try using chopsticks to slow you down!  Funny enough... I seem to really slow down and enjoy my food when I use them!

So what is clean and what is healthy?  

First tip I can give you is to AVOID the middle isles of the grocery store!  You know... the isles with all the pre packaged, canned, processed food with MONSTER PARAGRAPHS of ingredients with words you'd dare not try to pronounce!  

Second tip - go to the library or bookstore and pick up a few bookson whole food eating/recipes.  Learn about the GOOD fats, good quality carbs, and all the benefits of those wonderful phytochemicals that nature intended to provide you.
Two good things can come from this.  
1.  You'll learn how easy it can be to pick and make good food
2.  The more you read about this stuff, the more you'll gain a true appreciation for and a true aversion to the garbage in the middle isles of the grocery store.

Thrid tip- avoid eating out!  You'll be amazed at how much you can loose by simply following this rule!  Remember, the restaurant/fast food chain cares NOTHING about your health.  They're only goal is to make you enjoy it (so loaded with bad fats, sugar, and tons of chemicals) while keeping their costs down (cheap, poor quality ingredients).  How does that make you feel about them?  Still want to $upport them?

Flash,  trust me. You don't have to get bored eating healthy! 

Search for a local cooking class (great way to meet people too!).  Stroll through the healthy eating section of your bookstore!  Seach youtube for healthy eating inspiration!  

Where I started 10 years ago: http://www.alive.com/

Great books to read:
http://www.thechinastudy.com/
http://www.johnrobbins.info/videos/healthy-at-100/
Flash79
Flash79
Canada
2012/04/29, 08:21 AM
Ioris,
Thank you for the great tips. It's funny that you mentioned to eat slow because my wife makes fun of me because she says I can eat a big mac in 2 seconds....LoL...

Thanks agian...... TC.
hilary34
hilary34
United States
2012/10/11, 12:52 PM
lmao This made me laugh: "my wife makes fun of me because she says I can eat a big mac in 2 seconds" Haha! Anyway, I agree with Ioris. Also, I've heard popcorn is a good weight loss food. It's not very healthy, no, but I heard it will make you feel full. If memory serves, there's around 44 calories in a cup of popcorn (popped with oil). Air-popped I think is around 30.

So maybe popcorn to 'help' in your weight loss journey, so your diet doesn't become too boring? I don't know, just a thought. :D