Group: Lose Weight or Lose Fat

Created: 2012/01/23, Members: 254, Messages: 127

Think about which one is truly your goal.

Join group

HIIT, nutrition, and p90x abs

haleywonder
haleywonder
United States
2012/02/18, 09:14 PM
hi all~

i've been trying to get back in shape since mid-january, starting first with cleaning up my diet (eliminating sugar, flour and other starches, processed foods, etc) and have been training with HIIT sprints and p90x abs/lower body weights alternating days for about 3 weeks. i also practice hot yoga 3x/week. sounds like something like that would give at least minimal results, yes? but i've remained at the same numbers on the scale and on the tape measure. i started off with 30:90 sprint/rest intervals, but am now at about 30:60. i eat EFAs like hempseed oil daily, and the only carb besides fruits and veggies i eat is in quinoa. should i up my protein? out of all the things i can think of that i'm doing wrong, that seems to be the only thing. could i just be hormonal and bloated, and see lost inches once my cycle arrives? i don't necessarily want to lose too much weight, just displace the fat with muscle. i'm 34, 5'3" and 120 lbs. but at about 24% bodyfat. any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as not seeing results is extremely frustrating.
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/02/19, 12:40 PM
Some of your questions would probably be best answered by a fitness professional, but I'll touch on what I can.

It sounds like you're doing a great workout, but the results you're looking at are difficult to measure on the scale and the tape after 3 weeks - particularly depending on what you're doing with the rest of your day when you're not in 'gym' mode.

I would start by asking you to do a little math.  No need to answer here, but when you look at your lifestyle, would you think you are burning more than you are taking in?  Do you cheat a little?  I'm guessing not, but it still has to be asked - please don't take offence - you're working hard physically, so just take a look at what you're eating and think about if it's beneficial. 

To monitor my own body, I bought a scale that takes a look at your body composition and reports numbers.  Sure, no one gadget can give cold hard facts in 5 seconds, but it gives something to work with.  Tanita Corp sells a number of scales that will tell you based on the info you input your weight, your body fat % and a breakdown of your body composition.  You step on the scale at a consistent time of day (NOT first thing in the morning), and you can compare via bluetooth and a laptop the numbers it gives you back via a spreadsheet with the included software.  Check it out - you sound like someone who is going the extra mile for your results.  Alternatively, you could just scribble down the information.  I prefer the laptop/bluetooth method which appeals to my geek side.

It does a pretty good job of giving me numbers that are believable.  If I have a day where I have slacked, within a day or two, I see some changes to the pattern.  If I have a stretch where I've worked particularly hard, it will show some good numbers.  Thing is, it's not the numbers that are important, its the changes in the numbers that are. 

Finally, you are working your abs (P90X ab workout is fantastic!) and lower body, but don't neglect your upper body.  Women seem to shy away from working their chest, back and arms for fear of bulking up.  Believe me, adding bulk takes a conscious effort - it won't happen by accident, and certainly not over night.

Your diet noted does suggest an absence of protein, though I'm sure there's more to your diet than just a few things mentioned.  Don't be afraid of protein.  It's very important for building muscle, but also for repairing the "damage" done by working out. 

Hope this gives a useful guidance.