Group: Lose Weight or Lose Fat

Created: 2012/01/23, Members: 254, Messages: 127

Think about which one is truly your goal.

Join group

Fat or Weight?

Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/01/23, 06:55 AM (Edited: Fyrblade - 2012/01/23, 06:56 AM)
The question doesn't come up near as much a it should.

When you look in the mirror, do you see numbers? Or do you see fat?

Do you care what number an instrument detects? Or do you want to firm up.

I suggest to friends who are focused on the scale to monitor their body fat instead.

If you're a guy like me, you go to the gym, push some weight around and do some sustained cardio but have fat to lose, the scale may not move much, whereas your body composition could change dramatically.

My point is, think about what it is you want or need and measure that. One isn't necessarily a result of the other.
2012/01/28, 11:52 AM
That's a really good point. Weightloss is a term that's batted about without much thought. I use my pants instead of scales. They give a much more reliable reading on the excess baggage I carry.

It is also an excellent point that the same weight in muscle takes up much less space than fat. So you can actually gain weight and lose inches by packing on muscle.

Great post.
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/01/28, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the support!

The fit of your clothes is another great way to tell how you're progressing.  Are they getting tight in the right places, or loose in the right places? Awesome!

I own a scale, but only so I can track my body composition.  My Tanita scale will (albeit probably not 100% accurately) give me my weight, BF%, and some good body composition information numbers.  It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate though.  The fact that it trends up or down is what I need to see to reinforce that I'm doing well or not.
ateki
ateki
Canada
2012/03/07, 03:53 PM
fat for sure.... although i do have a goal weight to get to but idealy i just want to be fitter! its difficult when everyone around is talking about how much weight they have lost (when really they dont need to lose any...)

Lets hope this site gives me that wee bit of support i need...

cheers everyone!
Fyrblade
Fyrblade
Canada
2012/03/18, 05:06 PM
Don't be shy about talking. So many groups and unbelievable knowledge on this site!

Follow the workouts and get your friends involved :)
dools
dools
Australia
2012/03/20, 03:34 PM
Fyrblade
Don't be shy about talking. So many groups and unbelievable knowledge on this site!

Follow the workouts and get your friends involved :)

---As you get older ( I am 60) it seems to be so much harder to lose the fat. I do both cardio and resistance training 6 days a week and follow a healthy diet and lifestlye but the fat, particularly around my waste, just wants to stay there. Any suggestions???
2012/03/20, 04:04 PM
hi dools. welcome to freetrainers. If you are exercising regularly and still holding too much fat, you have to look to your diet. It's difficult but counting calories to establish a baseline is key. Once you know exactly what you are consuming you can reduce daily calories by 200 for a couple of weeks. That's all based on the notion that 1- you are eating properly. 2- you are not undereating. 3- you have been pretty accurate in your assessment of your diet.

Undereating will actually cause fat retention and burn away muscle tissue which is the opposite of what you want to do. This sight may help you get a grip on calorie counting but we use a book. For a while we even measured servings. It's very easy to serve too large a portion. I'm 60. It is possible to lose fat and stay in good shape at our age. Good luck.
dools
dools
Australia
2012/03/21, 03:35 PM
Thanks so much for your advise. I'm going to start a food diary - being a vegetarian, I believe I am much too reliant on carbs. Perhaps a diary will help me see where the calories are building up. Is there a guideline on how many calories per day should be consumed???
2012/03/21, 04:24 PM
We eat a legume soup/stew that is packed with protein. You can use whey protein to supplement if you're not vegan. Same for eggs Sweet potatoes may be the perfect food as far as proteinand carbs. Good luck and you're welcome.
Totallyhott
Totallyhott
United Kingdom
2012/03/22, 03:45 AM
Hi, everyone new joiner. I was just wondering what I need to change in order to lose weight, I have been going to the 4-5 times a week doing a combination of cardio circuit and strength training, however I don't seem to be lose much weight as I would think, whats surprising is I changed my diet completely. I was just wondering what I can do to get my weight down and my belly flatter because I do have a big belly. But I am very fit in terms of exerciscing I would class myself as intermediate to advance. Need help with the diet side of things want to see those pounds off.
2012/03/22, 10:19 AM
You say that you aren't losing weight. How about inches? Fatloss is a numbers game. Burn more than you take in and you will win. Have you been rigid in calorie count even to the point of measuring portions? It amazed us when we started measuring because our portions before were so large. The next thing to check is how clean your diet is.  All calories are not created equal.
GoodLifemrbship
GoodLifemrbship
Canada
2012/11/13, 04:16 PM
For any and everyone needing tips on personal training or GoodLife gym memberships in the Toronto area

If you want to:

-Lose weight
-Gain Weight
-Increase Energy/Endurance
-Quit Smoking
-Decrease pain
-Improve Flexibility etc