Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

static contraction... a new variation??

Aoraki
Aoraki
United Kingdom
2010/12/28, 12:03 PM
Hi

I know this topic is old... and I'm new to training again, so a bit out of the loop. Now I've recently read about static contraction and first thing that sprang to mind was the collosal weight people would need to lift. I've seen a youtube vid of a guy with 40plus huge plates on a leg squat! That can't be safe or good for joints.

Now I've been thinking about this and what has sprung to mind is that in static contraction you hold the weight at the point of greatest strength for about ten seconds.. no movement, or very little.. so in bench press this is about 2-4 inches from lockout. Now this is the greatest point of strength because leverage is in your favour... arms almost straight. So why not do this same technique at greatest point of weekness bar just above chest?? Surely then when leaverage is fighting against you it adds extra force applied to the muscle, thus you need to load the bar with far far less. I'm assuming that although the muscle is at almost full extension here it will contract the same at any point of it's stretch and the workout will be the same??

I tried this today... normal static contraction on bench at home.. at full strength point (2" from lockout).. could hold well over 100KG.. could get no where near enough weight on the bar to make it a short time of static holding and I'm a gibbon with huge long arms that make benching hard work.

Then I tried the same holding the bar just above the chest.. pecs and triceps in maximum extension and leverage not in my favour making the weight seem far heavier.. 55kg was all I could manage for a ten second static lift! And boy did I feel it. Sadly also couldn't get the bar back up to the rest, but thankfully predicted that and had left the collars off so could tip it and let the weight slide off each end. Not good practice though, risk of injury is high.. as was pannicked struggling noises :) so will need a lower rest.

Anyway what are peoples thoughts on this adaptation to static contraction..?

I'm going to experiment and keep my posts on here...

measurement is as follows...

Bicep 37.5 cm

Chest 111cm

I am new to this so there are sure to be lots of pointers people could give me. I did train alot 15 years ago, but forgotten most of that now.