Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

standing ab pulldowns

edwardJ
edwardJ
Australia
2009/10/22, 07:18 PM
i recently decided to integrate some more direct core work hoping this would help boost my squat. when performing ab pulldowns is it correct technique to lean the backside of your body against the machine as you perform the movement or not? was also wondering if you could suggest any more anterior core exercises targeted at increasing squat poundage you have found useful.

thanks
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2009/10/26, 06:29 PM
I have found heavy decline sit-ups to be beneficial in developing a good core for squatting.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/11/02, 04:08 PM
Those are the only 2 I do maybe at times a knelling pull down but keep in mind I use variations like bands, angles stand positions and when using a spud I use different arm positions.

The longer you keep your arms out in a spud or rope more core hit and placing a plate on your head for declines is much harder then holding on your chest.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!

Team Wild Iron
--------------
wildirongym.com
--------------
4-26-09 USPF Sacromento Open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A8davwnh5Q
-------------
My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1631
edwardJ
edwardJ
Australia
2009/11/04, 08:55 AM
thanks for the replies. im also keen on improving some other weak areas that could be limiting my squat numbers. i read in a post on t-nation that someone was a 'quad dominant squatter'. i realise i may have the same problem. does having small (or weaker) hamstrings impact your squat? if so what would u recommend i do to fix that? ive read that some people find hamstring curls beneficial and an underrated exercise. i find that when i fail on a tough set it is usually at the point where i am out of the whole and a little above parallel. what would you guess is my weakness at this stage of the movement?

thanks for the help
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2009/11/04, 08:37 PM
Glute Ham Raise helped be greatly and once I started doing them easily I started going against bands.

Good Mornings, Zercher Squats, Stiff Legged Deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts are better then leg curls IMO although I do like to do them especially with blue bands.

I was quad dominate and it took a long time to correct but once we got a Glute Ham Raise it got correct faster a lot faster.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!

Team Wild Iron
--------------
wildirongym.com
--------------
/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1631
-------------------------------------